Making it too easy?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Idsky

Making it too easy?

Post by Idsky »

It was suggested that showing move or attack positions is too much of a hint for players.

This is my reasoning: The move positions were available to desktop users already, as waving your mouse around showed your die image and set the mouse pointer to a hand on positions you could move to, including up against another ship (an attack position).

This is a nice visual and saves the tedious counting of squares but also evens the playing field for touch devices. It improves the user experience knowing where a tap will actually work. I think it's a terrible experience if you tap, it doesn't do anything, and then you wonder if it is not allowed (too far to move) or the game is just not responding. It does make it a bit easier for new players but I think makes no difference to advanced players. Isn't that what we want? Quantum has quite a learning curve and we want new players. The game has for a long time helpfully offered to use Strike or the tactical card if available instead of a move attack action. Is that also too helpful? I think the balance is pretty good at present.
95chins

Re: Making it too easy?

Post by 95chins »

"It improves the user experience knowing where a tap will actually work."

I think that's a great point. Even though BGA wants to replicate the in-person tabletop experience as much as possible, it's still a digital version of the game, so including UI features tailored to a digital product makes a lot of sense.

I also don't think that counting movement squares is that hard, so help from the UI is probably not boosting anyone's counting skill very much. Plus, counting movement squares isn't usually the thing that wins games, in my opinion. The skill that really wins in Quantum is seeing the combos. So for example, the game UI might show that your 5 can move to some space, but the player themselves has to be the one to realize that then they can use warp to swap places with a 3, then use that 3 to attack and have a better chance of winning the fight.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Those experienced won't benefit as they already see where they can move by experience. New players would probably he helped a lot both in playing and learning the game.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

I agree, I think the skill is planning a sequence of moves and thinking how your opponent will respond (and maybe destroy you).
Just showing where one ship can move is not a major help for anyone experienced.
Neitokun

Post by Neitokun »

I agree with the above comments. The recent updates are all excellent improvements!
imbroglio

Post by imbroglio »

Thanks, really appreciate the updates!

Return to “Quantum”