Inquisitor/Contessa interaction change(?)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
__Mac__

Re: Inquisitor/Contessa interaction change(?)

Post by __Mac__ »

I feel the coup community shouldnt be split like that (your idea of old and new) as im more than sure most of us are content with the current rulings (save for the obvious controversyspilt opinions of the Inquisitor). Off topic, maaaaaaan I can only imagine how much people would flip if something insane like the Jester reared its ugly head in the game (Examine one card from an opponent and draw one card from the deck. Give one card back to your opponent and put one back into the deck. Can only be blocked by Jester.). Oddly enough, the card doesnt specify if you can use/switch cards that YOU are already holding @_@*

Idk, we'll agree to disagree and agree on things (:
And again, I personally prefer to play with Ambassador and feel the game is nicely balanced. Inquisitor IS a change of pace but even most people I have played with (here on bga and irl) dont like Inquisitor for various reasons.

I do see your point of the social part of the game however, I dont agree that it has as much impact as you might think as theres plenty of playstyles and ways of figuring out your opponents, winning etc (play habits, probabilities, whats revealed etc). I also feel that kind of table talk would put a nice target on your head, which obviously isnt a good thing.

Maybe im wrong here but I tend to compare coup with texas holdem. Most top players (in most games, for that matter) are usually silent as to not give ANY tells to their opponent(s). I myself usually tend to stay quiet, not make aggressive plays/aggressive table talk etc and that usually works very nicely tho your milage may vary (again, irl and here on bga).
Dont get me wrong tho, theres PLENTY of social games that RELY on table talk (Im just going to throw out Catan, for example). Im sure we'll disagree here but thats okay (:

Cheers mate :D
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

Also let me nitpick for a sec q:

Say you "threaten" me with assassination (as you put it) if I steal from you.. I decide to steal from you anyways. Whats your response? q: Your bluff/table talk was not only used against you but now youre more of a target for EVERYONE else as youre now seen as an aggressor/more of a threat = likely to be eliminated faster.

Anyways, i'll try to tldr why Inquisitor needed this "nerf":

Lets assume the most common end game situation:

-Player A has one card and 3 coins.

-Player B (we'll just say you) has one card and 2 coins.

-Player C (Me Mac) has one card and 3 coins.

Player C (Me) decides to finally "play" my other card by targeting you (Player B) with the Inquisitors examine action.. So its either you show me your card.. or risk calling me out with NO information (besides what is already flipped up on the table from the other preciously eliminated players).

Do you.. show me the goods or..

Say you decide to show me your card.. Ah, a Captain. Probably the best end game card to have.. but now you cant lie anymore because I let you keep it. You show me an assassin, guess what? I ALSO let you keep it (now YOURE thinking "wait.. does this person actually have a Contessa?) You show me a duke, great. You duke. I say NOTHING because I know youre being honest. BUT player A decides to Steal from you.. yikes. You show me a Contessa? God help you. You see how thats a problem? YOUR choices are.. not so great at this point.. I should probs mention that it would be optimal if possible to wait to use an Inquisitor in a heads up situation (therefore eliminating any possible "teaming").

BUT with Contessa being able to "block" the examine action YOU can now at least attempt to bluff and effectively turn the tables back on me (whether you have the Contessa or not vs ONLY having the option to call my bluff but I know what I hold so.. do you think i'd lie at this point given the points I have made? Likely not.. MAYBE) q:
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

Oh! Kinda off topic butttt you also now have these fun interactions:

Say Player A (has one card left) tries to examine Player B (you, who also has one card left). You show them your card. Player C (me) assasinates you (because I know you dont have a Contessa (otherwise youd have at least attempted to block player A from using examine on you).
You try to call me out, I show Assasin.. yadda yadda.

If you try to examin too early tho this can happen:

Player A uses examine on Player B. Player B has two cards left and shows a duke.

Player C attempts to assassinate Player B ASSUMING they dont have a Contessa.. but maybe player B wanted player C/other players to assume just that.. mwahaha xD Ots another one of those situations like were Player A lets Player B steal from him even tho player a has a captain/ambassador/inquisitor tho obviously this wouldnt work with you only having one card left.

Tldr: more interactions. More deception q:
I like Coup.

Return to “Coup”