2 player Love Letters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Johnny Greencorn

2 player Love Letters?

Post by Johnny Greencorn »

Love Letters is one of my favorite 2 player games but I can't seem to make a game with any less than 3, is there a reason for that? Thanks!
CB Droege

Re: 2 player Love Letters?

Post by CB Droege »

because the official rules don't allow for less than three players, and this site sticks only to official rules.
Johnny Greencorn

Post by Johnny Greencorn »

Weird, the AEG print I own, the Asmodee mobile port and BGG all say 2-4 so I don't know where that came from. It plays extremely well as a 2 player game.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

You know what? You're right. The BGG community says it's only GOOD for 3-4 players (and I agree), but my physical rulebook for the game says 2-4 also.

I would never play this game with only two, I think that'd be a terrible game, personally, but since it's in the rules, it should be an option here...

Make a bug report for it.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

The answer is here:

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... ter#p31449

On BGG most people don't like 2-player Love Letter games. As on BGA usually many games start with the lowest possible player count, BGA admins and publisher have decided to have a minimum number of 3. Thus no bug but intention.

It would be fine to have some information about this on the game page, e.g. in the new presentation text, something like "While the printed rules allow games for 2-4 players, publisher and BGA have decided to remove 2-player-games due to the bad feedback by the board game community."
ShaneX

Post by ShaneX »

This is ridiculous. I just upgraded to premium so I could start a two player game of Love Letter with a friend. I understand the point about games with randoms starting at the minimum but if I’m specifically creating a table and inviting who I want I should be allowed to create a two player game.

I am aware that BoardGameGeek voters say that the game is not very good with two players, but having played hundreds of games, I think it is best at two players.

Now I’m left with a bad taste in my mouth and no cool, quick, simple, fun game to play with someone who has little experience with games.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

I mean.... Did some one tell you that making a premium account would let you bypass that restriction? I'm confused...
voriki

Post by voriki »

CB Droege wrote: 01 April 2020, 11:03 I mean.... Did some one tell you that making a premium account would let you bypass that restriction? I'm confused...
I think it was for the purpose to make his own table to play with his friend.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

My version of Love Letter has 2 -player rules:

You remove 3 more cards from the deck before starting (4 in total)

First to 7 tokens to win.

3 and 4 player is best IMO, but 2 player is still playable :shock:

Return to “Love Letter”