Lieing in chat / Giving or Using informations in chat

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Romain672

Lieing in chat / Giving or Using informations in chat

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
I got another more or less 'psychological' question.

How would you react if someone you play with, lied in chat but not in game, in purpose to either make the game loss and/or either to punish player who plays with chat?

I think the majority of the community agree that playing with chat or revealing information on it is bad.
And a good portion of them still gave lots of informations on it. It can be sometimes only by starting writing, or by writing '?' or 'why' in chat.
And yet, the community (consciously or not) plays with these informations on general for knowing which player does the mistake which lead to a bomb.
And yet, no one lie in chat. Which seem counter productive.

Thoughs? :D
Romain672

Re: Lieing in chat / Giving or Using informations in chat

Post by Romain672 »

On a more 'psychological' aspect, I got another example. I don't remember the exact situation, but there is some 'lg uhc' for Minecraft in Twitch where in short it's a werewolve game in real time (or an Among Us game), and I remember TheGuill (a player and streamer) which got information from outside the game (maybe with chat) from Libe (another player). And he shouldn't have access to them.
And yet, TheGuill said in stream in front of more than 1k viewers that he really think it would not be correct for Libe to lie on these informations.

But, both player are clever, just by the game they are playing. But that reasonning doesn't make sense for TheGuill. What TheGuill want, is to have control of what is going on. He doesn't want to use the extra information from outside the game, but he wants to know the 'role' of Libe. And no-consciously, he will use it.
Libe on the opposite, most of the time will just not think that far and what he said outside the game will be true. But why can't he punish TheGuill for using this kind of information as his advantage?

And once TheGuill start to think something fishy is going on, since Libe has a chance to lie, he will begin to doubt about these informations, which is perfect since TheGuill should not have access to them. So lieing has only advantages.

And I think this example translate perfectly to Hanabi, where people don't want to use information in chat, but do it anyway. And where having a good portion of the community lieing on purpose could only be benificial if everyone agree that giving and using information in chat is bad.

For anyone who knows what happen to Libe, it was before that happen, and it's not the subject anyway.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Gaming, especially cooperative games, is a social experience. Peoples who talk in chat want to communicate their feelings (surprise, ...) in the same way that in real life they would laugh, or look at you with weird eyes.

While those social contacts are "kinda cheating", because they reduces the challenge of them game, faking those social contact feels even worse to me as it is "cheating at real life" rather than "cheating at a game".

[Btw, thinking time is also a huge source of information. If you really want to communicate nothing to others, you also have to always wait until the end of your time limit].

Personally, I'm fine with most behaviours, since I've played (IRL) both with groups very serious and groups with peoples saying stuff like "maybe I will discard this card? or maybe this one? or that one?" while looking at the reaction of the other players to understand which one they should discard. Both kind of games were fun, and that's all what I'm asking.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

MoiMagnus wrote: 18 September 2020, 14:17 Btw, thinking time is also a huge source of information. If you really want to communicate nothing to others, you also have to always wait until the end of your time limit.
Thanks for your answer.
Will just react on that sentence. Yeah I already saw that. Now I rarely (like 1 game out of 50) etiher anticipe a difficult clue/bluff and so try to answer immediately as if the clue was normal. Or in the opposite, I take 10 or 20 seconds extra time while nothing was going on, but there was a chance to have something harder to happen.

Both these things are pretty rare, but I try to do that for punish player who plays with thinking time.

I got the same problem in room 25, since as prisonner I often lie (check my other subject in another forum if interrested), and so it happen frequently that I take like 10 or 20 seconds to think of the color. And so people who doesn't know I lie will not hesitate to double check that room (or even push me there one time).
Is it cheating? In arena, if I still want to lie, should I take 10 seconds before saying my color every time and make games longer? Meh. That's not some easy questions.
(after I don't care much, I plays mainly room 25 for fun by trying to understand the strategy/mechanics and humans interactions of the game)

Return to “Hanabi”