Solo Rules 3.0

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
DrKarotte

Solo Rules 3.0

Post by DrKarotte »

Due to a bug report about a missing feature I have noticed that Amigo has published a new version of SOLO (rule book version 3.0). The linked rules on the games page unfortunately lead to this new rulebook (apparently they have just replaced the files?).

These new rules contain a couple of new cards and mechanics which are not implemented on BGA (rulebook 2.1):
* Triple
* Gift card
* Protection card

I have not checked every detail, but have also detected a change in the current cards: When swapping cards, the game continues with the player with whom the cards have been swapped.

Apart from that they have added the rule that the game has to start with a normal card (this question arose while developping the game for BGA).
honus

Re: Solo Rules 3.0

Post by honus »

Any plans to implement the new cards and rules?
sdog

Post by sdog »

I would also like to see the new cards and rules implemented on BGA.
tallfred

Post by tallfred »

As a newbie, I was playing the game and hit solo AFTER playing my second last card. Result expected. Nobody explained anything to me and I got the cards. I lost the game. I was puzzled. Played another game. Played my second last card and pressed Solo. Got my cards. And get this: everyone LAUGHED at the newbie, and nobody told me my mistake. I had to go mining in the forums to find out what was happening.

The rules are quite clear: "If you have only one card left in your hand, you must clearly call out “Solo!” before the next player discards or draws a card, to alert the others that you have only one card left." The implementation differs from the rules. Newbies must be given some way of knowing this house rule. Please do one of the following:
1) Fix the implementation
2) Fix the rules
3) Give an indication to newbies SOMEWHERE.

And boy, what a lovely helpful community we have.
tallfred

Post by tallfred »

This is a nice game, but I am totally put off by my experience with it on BGA. Who can tell me when to press SOLO?
zoomboom

Post by zoomboom »

tallfred wrote: 29 August 2020, 11:40 This is a nice game, but I am totally put off by my experience with it on BGA. Who can tell me when to press SOLO?
Right before you play your 2nd to last card.
Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog »

I feel like it also tells you somewhere in game as well.

I know when I first played I recall something about it being implemented as the easiest way to actually call solo and thought process into it.

Maybe you can put a suggestion in that it becomes a popup on that card, but I think it's good how it is.
You don't want to ruin the statistic of "forgotten solo calls", although those should really only be the case where you're swapping with your second last card

You can press the call solo button at any time, it'll only actually call solo if the next play has you go down to your last card.
(I know that's it's way too much of a rush trying to play a double card when you've got three in your hand)
tallfred

Post by tallfred »

zoomboom wrote: 23 September 2020, 10:10
tallfred wrote: 29 August 2020, 11:40 This is a nice game, but I am totally put off by my experience with it on BGA. Who can tell me when to press SOLO?
Right before you play your 2nd to last card.

Thank you, eventually I twigged that that was what I was supposed to be doing.

But I was pressing the huge SOLO banner on the table. The button to press was below the bottom of my screen and I couldn't see it.

None of this is in the rules however. Pity that such a lovely little game should be marred by an implementation problem like this.

BTW, thanks to @Ubiquitina who helped me with this while everyone else laughed at me or ignored me. She is my friend for life.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

tallfred wrote: 23 September 2020, 19:09 [...]

None of this is in the rules however. Pity that such a lovely little game should be marred by an implementation problem like this.

[...]
But it is in the rules, on the game's page: https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=solo. You do have to click a button though:

OK, not the first place one would look. Thankfully, it's also right there on the screen! If you had tried to scroll down to look for the rules while playing, you would have seen this. On a lot of computers you don't even have to scroll at all:

Or when you hover over the banner you were trying to press (or long press on mobile):

Or when you press the button too early:

I would say there are plenty of indications.
tallfred

Post by tallfred »

That's great! The pop-up never appeared on my computer. I wonder why? I don't know how many times I clicked that banner.

I did not know that there were rules below the game before. That's a nice feature. I wonder how this is implemented on games like Through the Ages.

Sadly I will never find out.

Return to “Solo”