Some questions on how to play and game functionality

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
truehobbit

Some questions on how to play and game functionality

Post by truehobbit »

I'm currently playing in two games of Concept and can't figure out some aspects of how to play.

There don't seem to be teams of clue givers, like in the physical game, is that correct?

Also, what is the difference between 'give up' and 'make me inactive'? Why would you want to be inactive?

Why are not all players' clocks are always on? At Table #118977552 at the moment, for example, three out of four players, including the clue giver, have their clocks revolving because it's 'their turn', but one person does not have a turn, it seems. They have not given up (as that is indicated for all to see if someone gives up).

Since guessing is simultaneous and everyone can guess all the time, there's no telling whether any players aren't guessing because they don't have an idea or because they aren't playing, so how should the clue giver decide when to give up?

Lastly, when you're guessing, you can see the chosen clues nicely displayed all together and sorted, but if you are the clue giver, they only appear along the side, so you can't see what your clues look like to the guessers - it would be nice if the clues appeared the same way to the clue giver as they do to the guessers.

Sorry, lots of questions in one post, but too small ones to warrant individual posts each, I thought. :)
Tisaac

Re: Some questions on how to play and game functionality

Post by Tisaac »

truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 There don't seem to be teams of clue givers, like in the physical game, is that correct?
Incorrect, there is table option "Team size" that you can set to 1 or 2 (only in real time).
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Also, what is the difference between 'give up' and 'make me inactive'? Why would you want to be inactive?
Give up mean you are giving up on this word. If all the clue giver (team) give up, or all the guessers give up, then the game proceed to next word and no point are score.
The button" make me inactive" is only there in turn based mode and it's the only ways to stop the table to te displayed in your "games in progress" list which should pop up on BGA as soon as your are active in some TB game.
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Why are not all players' clocks are always on? At Table #118977552 at the moment, for example, three out of four players, including the clue giver, have their clocks revolving because it's 'their turn', but one person does not have a turn, it seems. They have not given up (as that is indicated for all to see if someone gives up).
Same answer here, a clock is only on when the player is active. So if someone has clicked the "make me inactive", then the clock won't run for them.
And in real time tables, only the clue givers are active.
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Since guessing is simultaneous and everyone can guess all the time, there's no telling whether any players aren't guessing because they don't have an idea or because they aren't playing, so how should the clue giver decide when to give up?
Well that's precisely why we don't recommand playing concept in turn based mode...
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Lastly, when you're guessing, you can see the chosen clues nicely displayed all together and sorted, but if you are the clue giver, they only appear along the side, so you can't see what your clues look like to the guessers - it would be nice if the clues appeared the same way to the clue giver as they do to the guessers.
Please upvote corresponding suggestion.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for the reply, Tisaac - yes, both my games are turn-based. Guess I'll better avoid that in the future, then.

How do I "upvote the corresponding suggestion"?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Tisaac wrote: 26 October 2020, 11:58
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Since guessing is simultaneous and everyone can guess all the time, there's no telling whether any players aren't guessing because they don't have an idea or because they aren't playing, so how should the clue giver decide when to give up?
Well that's precisely why we don't recommand playing concept in turn based mode...
I played turn-based without problem, you just press the 'inactive' button to pass back to the clue giver. It's up to the clue giver to decide when they're ready to stop.
Tisaac wrote: 26 October 2020, 11:58
truehobbit wrote: 26 October 2020, 10:38 Lastly, when you're guessing, you can see the chosen clues nicely displayed all together and sorted, but if you are the clue giver, they only appear along the side, so you can't see what your clues look like to the guessers - it would be nice if the clues appeared the same way to the clue giver as they do to the guessers.
Please upvote corresponding suggestion.
This is the only thought that I've also had, but I can live without it. It's a nice addition to the game that you don't get in RL.
Last edited by RicardoRix on 27 October 2020, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
nohaj_

Post by nohaj_ »

Incorrect, there is table option "Team size" that you can set to 1 or 2 (only in real time).
Why not in turn based ?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

nohaj_ wrote: 26 October 2020, 22:32
Why not in turn based ?
Because that was not working pretty well from the alpha experience.
As OP already described, playing in TB is already harder because you don't know if guessers have no idea or simply are not connected yet. Having a second clue giver was a bit artificial since there were almost no interaction between the two unless connected at the same time.
I think that even in real time, two clue givers is really not as great as what it looks like in real life where you could sit at one corner of the table and discuss about the word, which is why Repos asked that 1 clue giver was the default option.
nohaj_

Post by nohaj_ »

OK thank you for the answer.

I think there is turn based and turn based with friends, and for me it's not the same (playing mostly the second one, I think that the team size set to 1 will work fine).

Maybe we can have the "Team size" option in turn based mode but put to 2 by default ?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

nohaj_ wrote: 27 October 2020, 16:55 OK thank you for the answer.

I think there is turn based and turn based with friends, and for me it's not the same (playing mostly the second one, I think that the team size set to 1 will work fine).

Maybe we can have the "Team size" option in turn based mode but put to 2 by default ?
Hum have you swapped 1 and 2 in your answer or misunderstood what I said before ?
nohaj_

Post by nohaj_ »

I missed the "that 1 clue giver was the default option. " that indeed was important, sorry =)

I will try the game with my friends then, thank you !

Return to “Concept”