Interesting the way people play here at BGA

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Rogue_Meeple

Interesting the way people play here at BGA

Post by Rogue_Meeple »

When I play locally, a majority of players play defensively or at least keep an eye open for defensive opportunities. My experience playing here at BGA, it is just the opposite. In most of the games I have played, only a little defense is considered even in the most obvious situations. Many times I have seen where a player passes a Sashmi to another player who has played 2 Sashmi's.

Has anyone else seen this?
Meeplelowda

Re: Interesting the way people play here at BGA

Post by Meeplelowda »

Rogue_Meeple wrote: 05 June 2020, 21:03 Has anyone else seen this?
All the time. "Hey, I scored two points! (and handed my opponent 10)" Sometimes it makes sense, such as when the person being handed the points is far behind and you are fighting for the lead. But usually it makes no sense.
Storm Giant

Post by Storm Giant »

It depends on the player count and game situation.

If it's in the early part of the game (say, round 1) and you don't know who will be ahead in points, would you want to score 0 for that card you would pick just to block someone who might end up last anyway (or the leader, still too early to tell)?

Secondly, the number of players also play a role here. If you block someone, you score 0 point for yourself and the player you're blocking, for that card instead of picking another card, while all the other players score points, leaving the two of you worse off. If there are only 3 players, then blocking hinders 50% of your opponents while blocking in a 5-player game blocks only 25% of your opponents, so it's less effective.

Generally speaking, playing defensive or blocking another opponent is not a good move.
killa7977

Post by killa7977 »

Well, most of the time there Is no reason to play in defense....the only case where you can think about this Is in the last round, where you Will pass a usefull card to an opponent that Is competing against you for the win
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Rogue_Meeple wrote: 05 June 2020, 21:03 When I play locally, a majority of players play defensively or at least keep an eye open for defensive opportunities. My experience playing here at BGA, it is just the opposite. In most of the games I have played, only a little defense is considered even in the most obvious situations. Many times I have seen where a player passes a Sashmi to another player who has played 2 Sashmi's.

Has anyone else seen this?
Not only have I seen it - I have done it!

And - very unfairly - got abuse posted at me in the chat by another player for doing so :(

But guess what - I won the game. Because it was more important to take what I needed (I forget what it was, possibly a 3 Maki rolls) than deny someone else who wasn't going to catch me up 10 points.

If I take the Sashimi I just hose the Sashimi player AND myself and let someone else take the 3 Maki rolls and win the game.

Towards the end of the round, when you can be sure it's the final Sashimi going round to complete his set, and there's nothing much of value in the pack for you, then why not. But very often it's wrong.

And I was in the Top 20 Elite league season 1 so must have done something right ;)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

frogstar_A wrote: 29 July 2020, 21:21 Towards the end of the round, when you can be sure it's the final Sashimi going round to complete his set, and there's nothing much of value in the pack for you, then why not. But very often it's wrong.
Exactly this.

You wanna take a Sashimi to deny someone, only to have to possibly do it again!? I don't think so.

Sashimi is a great card.
Rogue_Meeple

Post by Rogue_Meeple »

I get it. If you (or me) are the ONLY player playing defensively, then you (or me) will most likely NOT win. I'm just saying that most of the times, in my local games, ALL players consider defense as part of the game.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Rogue_Meeple wrote: 12 November 2020, 05:29 I get it. If you (or me) are the ONLY player playing defensively, then you (or me) will most likely NOT win. I'm just saying that most of the times, in my local games, ALL players consider defense as part of the game.
Sounds like it's time for you to take advantage of the rut they've gotten into, and win a few games by being the only player to focus on their own plate. ;D
Rogue_Meeple

Post by Rogue_Meeple »

CB Droege wrote: 13 November 2020, 14:32
Rogue_Meeple wrote: 12 November 2020, 05:29 I get it. If you (or me) are the ONLY player playing defensively, then you (or me) will most likely NOT win. I'm just saying that most of the times, in my local games, ALL players consider defense as part of the game.
Sounds like it's time for you to take advantage of the rut they've gotten into, and win a few games by being the only player to focus on their own plate. ;D
Some of these "local" players are family! You got to pick your battles.
Talonstaff

Post by Talonstaff »

It might be that its a bit harder to keep in your head exactly who'se getting the cards when playing online rather than in person, and /or that it's harder to get into the mind set of others online as well.

Return to “Sushi Go!”