No more boring 2 Player Arena Mode for Multiplayer Games - Whenever possible

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Calmon70

No more boring 2 Player Arena Mode for Multiplayer Games - Whenever possible

Post by Calmon70 »

I'm a competitive player and I really like Arena (usually turnbased mode). I stop playing normal when I reach the 100 ELO for Arena for most games.

But I really don't like the fact that so many games made for multiple players are crippled down to 2 players. The games are just boring in many cases. Why would you prefer a 2 player variant when you can play 3-5 players?

- Is it more competitive? Varies, in many cases not, its even worse: some games get suddenly super straight forward strategies, YOU CAN LEARN WHAT TO DO. Important decisions depending on game situation are more limited!

- 2 player games are extremly punishing because either you lose or win. Many people are happy ending up 2nd or 3rd place in a good game. 2 player games are always creating 50% last places. (I'm pretty sure this alone scares off a lot of potential arena players). Limit 2 player games to... well real 2 player games

- I can understand the fact that 3-5 player mode needs more players so its more difficult for real time games but honestly I pretty sure the playerbase would be a lot higher when its not just 2 players. And for turnbased mode its even not an argument.

The 2-player variants I played in Arena:

- Hawaii (super straight forward strategy with 2 players)
- K2 (basically no interaction because so much free space)
- Keyflower (I like the game in general but 2 player feels just so boring after 1-2 games)
- Caylus (why does this need to be 2 players... its so much more fun with more)
- Thurn and Taxis (Not much difference, so why 2 players, just for having a more static card pool?)
- Through the Ages (the only game I actually play a lot and like in 2 player variant but I would be still fine with 3 players!)

tldr: Competitive games should make fun and 2 players limits the fun and the player base. More players means less last places and competition is possible with 3-5 players (at least for most games). 2 Player variants are often learnable and is less about making decisions in specific game situations.
chk1975

Re: No more boring 2 Player Arena Mode for Multiplayer Games - Whenever possible

Post by chk1975 »

And to at to the list,
Stone age
Russian railroads

I agree with you but already know the answer people will give:
Some people prefer the 2 player variant, fair enough..
And some people think 2 player versions involve less luck and so that should be the way arena is played because it is meant to be competitive. With this one I disagree.
if I wanted to play a game without luck I would have played chess, bit a don’t want to play chess I want to play these amazing boardgames where luck is always a part of and learn to play around unlucky draws or rolls.
Smeg

Re: No more boring 2 Player Arena Mode for Multiplayer Games - Whenever possible

Post by Smeg »

Kingdomino looks like it's two players in Arena, each player doing two actions a turn to simulate a four player game.

I've owned the game for years and have never played it two players, it's not really a two player game. In Arena mode, unless a game is specifically two player, like Lost Cities, games should be at least three players. Three is normally the sweet spot for just enough added randomness and variety.

What's Alhambra going to be when it hits the Arena, two players + Dirk? I hope not.

A website full of multiplayer board games but seemingly wanting the most boring way to play them.

Just seen that Takenoko is two player also, no thanks.
eyebooger

Post by eyebooger »

I'll cosign this sentiment for Takenoko and Hawaii (best with 3) and Stone Age (best with 4).

I would also add Tzolkin to this list (WAY better with 4).

Ironically, I think The Boss is an elite 2-player game, but the Arena format is 4.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

Thurn and Taxis changed to 3 players. Thats a good start! :)
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Calmon70 wrote: 03 December 2020, 01:51
- Is it more competitive? Varies, in many cases not, its even worse: some games get suddenly super straight forward strategies, YOU CAN LEARN WHAT TO DO. Important decisions depending on game situation are more limited!
You do realize this is really a matter of taste and that writing in caps won't make more true, right ?
I also like to play in a competitive way and I don't like most game with more than 2 players involved when I'm playing that way. As soon as the game contains some kind of interaction between players, being 3 at the table will always trigger the same kind of situations : "this player A is winning, but if I try to slow him I will loose some points and then the other will win, but if I don't do anything, and neither the other player, then player A will win...".
In 2-player, it's easier : making the other one loose points is the same as earning points, so I can really focus on optimization only and not trying to win without making it too obvious that I'm winning so that the other won't block me....

Again, this is a matter of taste, but that's probably the reason why most game are in 2p in arena. Which doesn't means it will stay that way. Many games change format in between arena seasons. You usually can vote for the format in the corresponding forum.
DavidBadalona

Post by DavidBadalona »

Absolutely correct a lot of games is better more players than 2.
Stone age, tzolkin, caylus and hawaii its crazy with only 2 players i dont play for that
I think a lot of games its long long better with 3 for example
Tzolkin, troyes, caylus, hawaii......
I hope when alhambra comes are a 3 player game in arena, 4 in El Grande or 4 same in Draftosaurus
Kallsup

Post by Kallsup »

Add Dice Forge (4p is by far the best) to this list, same story as with Kingdomino.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

Tisaac wrote: 07 December 2020, 12:46 You do realize this is really a matter of taste and that writing in caps won't make more true, right ?
Well I want to point this out. It's like writing a script with rules, many 2 player versions have a very fixated game plan. With more players situations changes and you need to adapt your strategy. I don't say this counts for every game.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

It is a matter of taste. I think the thing that would be nice is more season to season variation. Right now less than 10% of games see any season to season changes.

For troyes and hawaii i prefer 2p but one is always 3 and the other always 2. These could both benefit fromswitching between 2p and 3p every other season.

There are some games like tournay or uncle chestnuts table gype that are always better at 2.and games like terra mystica that should always be 4 player. Again opinions may differ but getting reasonable compromise would be nice

Return to “Discussions”