Alternative Rule Suggestion: "Draw Two Cards and Play One"

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
RicardoRix

Re: Alternative Rule Suggestion: "Draw Two Cards and Play One"

Post by RicardoRix »

Calmon70 wrote: 19 November 2020, 12:44 Getting same card 3 times in row is in general super bad, of course in some cases its less bad but overall you don't want it.
Why?
Can you mitigate the luck by playing differently?

It's also very unlikely, which in a lot of games, if you try and fix all the small chance unbalanced unfairness then you'll never stop trying to fix things.
2 doubles in a row in backgammon for example.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

I'm not sure what you want to discuss. Is 3 of same terrain bad? Yes it is because early you want to spread out and you do it best with different terrains (hopefully this needs no explaination) and even late you usually don't want the same terrain because you already set in good fields of this terrain, its usually less likely there are still good left than in others.

Is it likely to get 3 in row? No, but it happens.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

If you have undeniable evidence, then you need to petition the game designer or publisher and try and make it an official rule. You will then likely see the addition to the BGA adaption.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Calmon70 wrote: 19 November 2020, 14:33 Iyou want to spread out and you do it best with different terrains (hopefully this needs no explaination)
Actually, it does need explanation. Unless my initial settlements are wholly within a terrain type, with a border of the same type or unbuildable terrain around it, having a different terrain type seems to force me to expand my current settlement area. Whereas if I have only the same terrain type, I will most likely completely fill that area and be able to start a new one.

And again, BGA is not the place to implement house rules. If the game truly is broken with current rules, and BGA reveals that through their statistics, then go to the publisher/developer and request the rule change. This has happened before with the "citizen's arrest" variant in NOIR. But it can't be implemented without publisher/developer blessing.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

Sorry I don't want to argue having more cards to select from is a good idea. :) I just commented to jest phulins comment.

For the explanation why you don't want same terrains at start: You usually set on 1 starting bonus and try to prevent to border on ANY other terrain. Why? Because you will get an easy free teleport to next bonus. So usually the only bad outcome is when you draw same terrain again because than a) you most likely don't teleport and its difficult to get another special and b) after setting 3 more in starting terrain you're defintely neighbored to other terrains and therefore decrease your odds to teleport in following turn.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

Calmon70 wrote: 19 November 2020, 22:45 For the explanation why you don't want same terrains at start: You usually set on 1 starting bonus and try to prevent to border on ANY other terrain. Why? Because you will get an easy free teleport to next bonus. So usually the only bad outcome is when you draw same terrain again because than a) you most likely don't teleport and its difficult to get another special and b) after setting 3 more in starting terrain you're defintely neighbored to other terrains and therefore decrease your odds to teleport in following turn.
I haven't even played this that much but I have to agree with this. In fact, being careful about what I'm touching on my first turn or two is one of the first things I learned (the hard way of course) about this game.

I'm not seeing the advantage of "finishing out" the terrain area so that you can then move on. I sort of see the point because you eventually will probably get that terrain again -- but, if you can move somewhere else very early, you may have opened up another place where you can use that terrain rather than having to stay in that area. And if it takes you an extra turn or two to fill in that area before you can then move elsewhere, your opponent can already be blocking things, or worse, in a 3-4 player game, some of the location tiles could already be gone. (Though I hope to never play a 4 player again. That was just... bad.)
CaptMalHammer

Post by CaptMalHammer »

This is tough. After almost 100 plays of this game now. There is a 90 percent luck and 10 percent strategy to a game that is in essence an area control game. There should be an option to mitigate this luck factor. Over those 100 games i have lost by turn 3 or 4 at least 55 percent of the time by drawing the same terrain type over and over and over again. I agree initial placement matters and you should limit what terrain you are around etc. But even if you play perfectly the strategy aspect you still just lose to card draw more times then not. 1st turn Draw 2 might be to powerful for the player going first but draw 2 and play 1 after turn 1 helps to make the game possibly more competitive and less random. I understand the license with Queen Games might not allow it but would be something nice to have if possible as a variant rule set.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

ThomasWalter wrote: 14 December 2020, 21:34 There should be an option to mitigate this luck factor.
There is. It's called playing games with no randomness, like Chess, Go, Quarto, Quorridor, ...

Return to “Kingdom Builder”