SAINT PETERSBURG: A classic in modern boardgames since 2004

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

SAINT PETERSBURG: A classic in modern boardgames since 2004

Post by DrClick »

Hi-dilly-ho, neighborinos!

Saint Petersburg (or Sankt Petersburg in German) is a well-made success story above all. The game is based on what has made Alhambra, San Juan or other similar games successful: each player plays on their own with few interactions and neat components.
The game has won many awards, all around the world, and has been very popular amongst players ever since.

In Saint Petersburg, you're developing the city at the beginning of the 18th century, with craftsmen, constructions and nobles to manage. A true German-style game, i.e. mechanics are really the heart of the game.

The game is split into several rounds, each of which is composed of virtually similar phases, the cards changing for each phase.

Basically, you place cards face up on the board, and either buy one, take one from your hand (a reservation), put one from your hand on your own board, and pay the cost or pass. So 4 possible actions. Easy.

Except that, cards are rather expensive and money quickly becomes scarce. Knowing that for all similar cards the cost decreases, and that the remaining cards in the next round will cost one less. So the game holds a certain "push your luck" flavor: you buy right away, you reserve or you wait until it becomes cheaper.

Some cards will bring money, depending on the phase, and others will bring victory points. It's all about making the right investment choices at the right time.

In the end, the rules are extremely clear, well explained and very fluid. You don't have to wait between turns, even at 5 players.

You can give it a try here :
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... petersburg

All our thanks go to Hans Im Gluck and to the game designer Bernd Brunnhofer, without forgetting of course to tip our hats to our developer Marcuda for the top-notch work he has done on this adaptation.

You'll probably enjoy the interesting mechanics, including playing by phases with different gains at the end of each one. The whole feel is very strategic, and the game will especially please analytical players.

It works like a card game, for lovers of management and calculation games.

And now, what else can we ding dong diddly do for you?
p2w

Re: SAINT PETERSBURG: A classic in modern boardgames since 2004

Post by p2w »

It's not playable on the site with 5 players.. :)
CraftyBird

Post by CraftyBird »

5th player requires an expansion. Also, what do the Simpsons have to do with this great game?
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

DrClick wrote: 16 December 2020, 12:03 All our thanks go to Hans Im Gluck and to the game designer Bernd Brunnhofer, without forgetting of course to tip our hats to our developer Marcuda for the top-notch work he has done on this adaptation.
This is one of my favourite games and I've been enjoying the heck out of it in Beta. Very grateful that it's the original edition and not the Second Edition, and I'm further grateful that the developer both made smart implementation decisions and was open to tester feedback.
CraftyBastrd wrote: 16 December 2020, 14:15 5th player requires an expansion. Also, what do the Simpsons have to do with this great game?
Indeed... it makes for a cheesy way to announce a classic game. :-/
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
atmpoison

Post by atmpoison »

A great game, thanks to BGA, author, publisher and the programmer;)
DrClick

Post by DrClick »

CraftyBastrd wrote: 16 December 2020, 14:15 5th player requires an expansion. Also, what do the Simpsons have to do with this great game?
Wait for the next announcement.
I'll probably use another one.

But i like that you ask why :)
Marketka Nicova

Post by Marketka Nicova »

PLease, is the new version coming up? Many cards in the first version make the game severely unbalanced. Please.
longtime_sunshine

Post by longtime_sunshine »

Marketka Nicova wrote: 16 December 2020, 20:28 PLease, is the new version coming up? Many cards in the first version make the game severely unbalanced. Please.
Which were fixed in the expansion (which sounds like they’re adding soon).

I for one *strongly* prefer the 1st edition.
abpepperstone

Post by abpepperstone »

Thank you for getting this great euro up on line. It is almost impossible to get right now. Copies are at a premium. I hope that this might spark some new interest in the game and maybe even get a reprint to happen. Lovely to play. Definitely looking forward to sharing it with friends and family.
sleepingbunch

Post by sleepingbunch »

It's a great implementation of St. Petersburg. Kudos to the developers. Much easier to play it here than other unnamed places online that have this game.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”