It's time for CONCEPT !

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

It's time for CONCEPT !

Post by DrClick »

What's white and falls in December?

CONCEPT !

Spiel des Jahres, BoardGameGeek, As d'or, Golden Geek... close to 20 Worldwide awards for this game!
Yes, it's one of the presents for this year from the Repos Production Team.

This game, created by Alain Rivollet and Gaëtan Beaujannot is a total MUST-HAVE on any gaming library.

How does it play?
Simple.
and brilliant.
for 2 to 12 PLAYERS!

In Concept, your goal is to guess words through the association of icons. A team of two players – neighbours at the table – choose a word or phrase that the other players need to guess. Acting together, this team places pieces judiciously on the available icons on the game board.

To get others to guess "milk", for example, the team might place the question mark icon (which signifies the main concept) on the liquid icon, then cubes of this colour on the icons for "food/drink" and "white". For a more complicated concept, such as "Leonardo DiCaprio", the team can use the main concept and its matching cubes to clue players into the hidden phrase being an actor or director, while then using sub-concept icons and their matching cubes to gives clues to particular movies in which DiCaprio starred, such as Titanic or Inception.

The first player to discover the word or phrase receives 2 victory points, the team receives points as well, and the player who ends up with the most points wins.

We strongly recommend you to play with strangers. It works in any language.
And don't take it too seriously, it's only a game.
A wonderfully fun game you can try here:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=concept
Please note that tables are grouped by language - don't forget to set yours in your account preferences ;)

All our thanks go to the awesome people at Repos Production, to the game designers too, of course, and to the work done by our developer,
Tisaac.

Oh and don't forget that this version contains more CONCEPT - Discover the expansion: More CONCEPT! Available for Germand and French only - for now.
Enjoy this game online or on a real table during these holidays, it's a good way to keep in touch with your relatives in a fun way.
Take care, and Merry Holidays to all !
MyDocuments

Re: It's time for CONCEPT !

Post by MyDocuments »

1) Playing with an unknown partner can ruin your whole experience. For example, yesterday I would play with someone who would always pick the card quickly, who would remove my hints and always make sure their own hints were available. Ie, I couldn't play at all, and the game is not exactly short. There wasn't even some separated chat section for discussing strategy only with your partner. I'm sure I'll never play with a team of two in BGA again.

2) There seems to be very few cards. In 4 games, I saw a few repeats. There was a player who seemed to know all cards by heart, so the game was boring as he would always guess the right word in under 1 minute.

3) Faced a few bugs, like a huge number covering up the table, which forced me to give up my word. (reporting soon)

The game is great, but I really didn't have a good experience playing it on BGA... :(
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

MyDocuments wrote: 23 December 2020, 13:46 1) Playing with an unknown partner can ruin your whole experience. For example, yesterday I would play with someone who would always pick the card quickly, who would remove my hints and always make sure their own hints were available. Ie, I couldn't play at all, and the game is not exactly short. There wasn't even some separated chat section for discussing strategy only with your partner. I'm sure I'll never play with a team of two in BGA again.

2) There seems to be very few cards. In 4 games, I saw a few repeats. There was a player who seemed to know all cards by heart, so the game was boring as he would always guess the right word in under 1 minute.

3) Faced a few bugs, like a huge number covering up the table, which forced me to give up my word. (reporting soon)

The game is great, but I really didn't have a good experience playing it on BGA... :(
All the cards from the real game are here ;)
The bug is likely related to your browser since I've never been able to reproduce it recently, so make sure you give this information in the bug report, otherwise it will be useless
bigcakeything

Post by bigcakeything »

The description of the game says it is for 2 to 12 players.
But then goes on to explain that ' a team of two players – neighbours at the table – choose a word or phrase that the other players need to guess'
This insinuates that the game is for at least 4 players.

When I try to play, I get the following message:

Unexpected error: Two clue givers needs at least 4 players

Can you let me know if I am doing something wrong.
I am trying to play with
Simple Game
Real Time
Automatic

Thanks,

Mark Pettitt
starwarsbunny

Post by starwarsbunny »

i love this game, is there anyway you can extend time out on your counter cause every person runs out of time on their name and i an getting penelties
ANB614

Post by ANB614 »

bigcakeything wrote: 23 December 2020, 19:39 When I try to play, I get the following message:

I also keep getting this error.
Daveyfuzz

Post by Daveyfuzz »

I got so frustrated with getting that error message that I just bought the physical version of the game. It's fun, but we play as individuals - not teams. I find teams annoying because when you're sitting at a table together, it's hard to talk amongst yourselves so the others don't hear. So, we adjusted the game to play four people as individuals. Each person chooses how to get all other players to guess the clue. We're all adults... I don't need to collaborate on that. And we changed the point system around. The one giving the clues get 2 points if someone guesses it right. The guesser gets 1 point. When all the 2-point tokens are gone, the game is over and who ever has the most points wins. We also let the clue-giver choose ANY word on the card - not limited to a particular difficulty level because often we found that some things in the difficult section were actually easier than others on the card. I wish they changed the game so that it didn't require a team. It doesn't. We have had more fun playing as individuals anyway.
Amrimi

Post by Amrimi »

bigcakeything wrote: 23 December 2020, 19:39 The description of the game says it is for 2 to 12 players.
But then goes on to explain that ' a team of two players – neighbours at the table – choose a word or phrase that the other players need to guess'
This insinuates that the game is for at least 4 players.

When I try to play, I get the following message:

Can you let me know if I am doing something wrong.
I am trying to play with
Simple Game
Real Time
Automatic

Thanks,

Mark Pettitt
If someone explains a word you still need someone to guess a word. So it doesn't make sense to have 2 Players explaining a word and no one left to guess.
Last edited by Amrimi on 05 January 2021, 12:44, edited 2 times in total.
Cattermelon

Post by Cattermelon »

I had a couple of issues, one was already mentioned.

I played a game, and the two members of the other team both quit mid-game. I tried to boot one of them from the game, and the second they were booted it said I was out of time, and it counted as a negative on my record. And I don't think anyone could continue the game. Not sure if this was a specific problem to Concept or something else.

Since that first game, every time I've tried to play again I've got the "Unexpected error: Two clue givers needs at least 4 players" message. I don't know why... I'm not trying to play with less than 4 players?!
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Daveyfuzz wrote: 23 December 2020, 23:10 I got so frustrated with getting that error message that I just bought the physical version of the game. It's fun, but we play as individuals - not teams. I find teams annoying because when you're sitting at a table together, it's hard to talk amongst yourselves so the others don't hear. So, we adjusted the game to play four people as individuals. Each person chooses how to get all other players to guess the clue. We're all adults... I don't need to collaborate on that. And we changed the point system around. The one giving the clues get 2 points if someone guesses it right. The guesser gets 1 point. When all the 2-point tokens are gone, the game is over and who ever has the most points wins. We also let the clue-giver choose ANY word on the card - not limited to a particular difficulty level because often we found that some things in the difficult section were actually easier than others on the card. I wish they changed the game so that it didn't require a team. It doesn't. We have had more fun playing as individuals anyway.
It's already the case.... Just change "team size" to "1" when creating a table.......
And there is no limitation on the word difficulty.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”