Chasm die

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Endrebye

Chasm die

Post by Endrebye »

Been playing some rounds with the chasm-die on. Sometimes, the active player still decides where the chasm expands. I can't find anything about this in the rules? Anyone knows why this happens sometimes?
paramesis

Re: Chasm die

Post by paramesis »

See the official rulebook, page 10:
After drawing a Chasm Token, roll the Chasm Die to decide which mine square collapses. If a Chasm Token already occupies that
square, the player who drew the token can choose an adjacent unoccupied square to place it.
Naturally, this can lead to some edge cases, which I've confirmed with the designer:
  • If an adjacent space is also occupied by the same color, you can also place adjacent to that space, similarly to how the chasm expands with Chasm DIe off.
  • If a chasm token cannot be placed at all, it is discarded and another one is drawn.
Endrebye

Post by Endrebye »

Thanks for clearing it up!
diamant

Post by diamant »

paramesis wrote: 18 December 2020, 04:41[*]If a chasm token cannot be placed at all, it is discarded and another one is drawn.
I don’t understand how that can happen just by the rule. Could you explain that and give an example?
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

It's very rare, but possible that a chasm token or group of tokens could be surrounded on all four sides by chasm tokens of different colors.

In the example image below, if a yellow token is drawn and the chasm die is rolled to 7 (upper right, where there is already a yellow token), it will not be possible to place the token because all surrounding spaces have tokens of a different color. If the Chasm Die variant is off, yellow tokens could no longer be placed at all.
Attachments
impossible-chasm.jpg
impossible-chasm.jpg (178.48 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

Return to “Off the Rails”