Does Concept require an advanced browser?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jest Phulin

Does Concept require an advanced browser?

Post by Jest Phulin »

I was wondering if there's something in Concept that requires it to be played on an advanced browser.

The situation is that I tried to play a game using an old 32-bit machine (Chrome under Linux) that played 6 Nimt! the week before. When I tried loading Concept, it froze on the loading screen: I got the white background with the light box art, the progress bar popped up, but no actual progress was made in loading the game. Switching to a 64-bit machine (Chrome under Win10) fixed the problem.

Do I try to track the problem on my end, or does it use advanced methods like Santorini does that require the advanced browser?

Thanks.
Tisaac

Re: Does Concept require an advanced browser?

Post by Tisaac »

Jest Phulin wrote: 26 December 2020, 05:51 I was wondering if there's something in Concept that requires it to be played on an advanced browser.

The situation is that I tried to play a game using an old 32-bit machine (Chrome under Linux) that played 6 Nimt! the week before. When I tried loading Concept, it froze on the loading screen: I got the white background with the light box art, the progress bar popped up, but no actual progress was made in loading the game. Switching to a 64-bit machine (Chrome under Win10) fixed the problem.

Do I try to track the problem on my end, or does it use advanced methods like Santorini does that require the advanced browser?

Thanks.
It's using Vue, so not sure how advanced that requires but pretty common all around the web
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Thanks. Initially, it looks like the bottleneck may be ECMAScript 5 support.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

Jest Phulin wrote: 26 December 2020, 17:45 Thanks. Initially, it looks like the bottleneck may be ECMAScript 5 support.
Seems a bit odd. Note I'm not a programmer, but 5 was published in 2009 and 5.1 in 2011. That's getting pretty old. My PC was built in 2013 and I'm using 32-bit cause of some older software. Win10 was not out yet and I have Win7. It came with IE8 and the most I can upgrade that is IE11. I don't know what versions of Chrome or Firefox were newest at the time, without looking it up. (Firefox may have been around 25??)

I have to wonder if it has more to do with the Linux? (Which I know nothing about, but if you managed to get that working, I would think you're far more geeky than I am.)

I may try to play this with my group this week and I'll see if I have problems. I suppose I should have my notebook ready to go in case this is a problem. If we play, I'll report back. Another of us also has an older computer. But I will say I can play back a game without any problems. (Though the problem you describe often happens on my iPad.)
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

I forgot about this. The group did end up playing (weird game), and I had no issues with it at all. Or at least with it running ok - I did have issues guessing stuff and lost, but that's a different story. This was on 32-bit Win 7 using Firefox. (My browser isn't the most updated one but it's not that old.)
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Thanks for the follow-up.

Return to “Concept”