Suggestion - option where host not restricted in bid

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Denis

Suggestion - option where host not restricted in bid

Post by Denis »

The current implementation forces the rule where the host is prevented from making a bid such that the total bids equals the total number of cards. This often leads to the dealer getting screwed on the 1 card rounds. E.g. if trump is Hearts, and the dealer has Ace of hearts, and everyone else bids 0, the dealer must bid 0. The intent of this rule is so that every round there is at least one "loser".

SUGGESTION
Add an option where we can disable this restriction and allow the dealer to bid anything. In my experience, this is a more fun experience overall.

thank you
Alex76Games

Re: Suggestion - option where host not restricted in bid

Post by Alex76Games »

For me the idea of the whole game is that at least someone loses on each round no matter what!!! That generates a struggle in the game in order not to lose and to make others lose as the same time of following some strategy to win yourself ... but if you like it like that it's OK, in my opinion the game will lose it essence ... man it's even in the name OhHell! (La Podrida in Spanish).
Andrew Hatch

Post by Andrew Hatch »

Agree that the constraint on the sum of bids not equaling the number of tricks is an important part of the game. I would be open to getting rid of the low-card rounds to reduce randomness and also play all 13 rounds in 4-player games.
AlvaroJL

Post by AlvaroJL »

I think the solution for that problem is : All players bid at the same time, or the same, you cant see your opponents bids.
If the sum of the bids are equal to the numer of tricks, the system deal another hand.
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

One alternative we play at work is instead of dealing out say 1-10, we do 4-13. We keep the forced bid rule, but that does make it a little harder to get screwed over, as compared to when you’re only holding one low card and having to bid.

Return to “Oh Hell!”