"No Thanks" translated to "Oh S**t"?

Suomenkielinen käännös
rexroom

"No Thanks" translated to "Oh S**t"?

Post by rexroom »

Since the policy for translating games is down to what the local version is named after, it usually is a pretty trivial matter.

However, this time around I have to ask: Is this OK?

Currently the latest version of "No Thanks" released here in Finland is called "Oh S#!?" or just "Oh Shit". Question is, what is the policy regarding names of what some might regard vulgar? I see "Oh Hell" listed here, so I guess it should be OK to use the naughtier version, but what do you guys think of? Should I just the filtered version or have it all out?
Een

Re: "No Thanks" translated to "Oh S**t"?

Post by Een »

Hi,

In general, I would advise to go with the filtered version like on the box, that should be ok since the localization team from the distributor in Finland considered it fine for print, taking into consideration the local culture and sensibilities.

But please note that actually the Finland box you are referring to matches the newest edition of the game https://www.amigo-spiele.de/spiel/schoene-scheisse while we have used the image files and name for the earlier version https://www.amigo.games/game/nothanks

So in this case, maybe it would be better to find what name this earlier version had in Finland (or to translate it literally if it wasn't published in Finland) rather than using the new version's name, since the light-hearted graphical universe created for the new edition is not there to match the new name.
rexroom

Re: "No Thanks" translated to "Oh S**t"?

Post by rexroom »

Een wrote: 23 January 2021, 10:20 So in this case, maybe it would be better to find what name this earlier version had in Finland (or to translate it literally if it wasn't published in Finland) rather than using the new version's name, since the light-hearted graphical universe created for the new edition is not there to match the new name.
There doesn't seem to be an earlier localized version, but yes, it's probably less confusing to just use the earlier version that BGA uses instead of the newer, themed one. This is an international platform anyway, so it is good that people will know what they're talking about in the first place.

Return to “Suomi - fi”