Game log provides too much insight into face down cards

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Shazzypaz

Game log provides too much insight into face down cards

Post by Shazzypaz »

Today I played a 7WD game where I was uncertain near the end of Age III on whether one of the green cards was going to become available - still one of the face down cards - or whether it had been turned over and used to construct a wonder. It occurred to me after the game that I could have scanned the game log to find the answer. If we were playing in person, I would need to rely on memory, and if I didn't remember, I'd be out of luck.

I realize that the game log is necessary so that we can see in turn-based play what move the other play made. But it seems like there should be a game log feature where some portions of the log would become invisible after the other players have all taken their next turn. This would make the game play closer to in-person play.
KongKing123

Re: Game log provides too much insight into face down cards

Post by KongKing123 »

I disagree, this is in fact an advantage of the interface. It makes the game more about strategy and less about memory.

If this were removed, people would just track it in Notepad or something.
Shazzypaz

Post by Shazzypaz »

When we play online, we don't prepare the board and cards. I didn't realize until now that there are three random cards excluded from play for each of the ages. So the game log can tell me that a specific card that isn't visible is under a wonder, but if it's not in the game log, I don't know if it's excluded or still face down somewhere. So a bit more random than I thought.
Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

I did not know that about the discarded cards. Does the colour of the face down cards mean anything?
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Billy Pilgrim wrote: 01 February 2021, 18:40 I did not know that about the discarded cards. Does the colour of the face down cards mean anything?
Yes, they correspond to the Age of the card that was stashed (e.g. orange/brown is Age I).

The Age is also displayed on the back of the cards (G = Guild).

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”