Running out of time

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
patrober

Running out of time

Post by patrober »

If i have a particularly skillful (ie lucky) game, and have collected a large number toys, I sometimes go over time as you have way more moves to consider, plan and implement. Normally this isnt a problem as most players are forgiving of time warnings. But recently had a game like this, lot of toys, clearly ahead in the game, but the other player abandoned (rather than conceded) the game - and as i was out of time the game was abandoned automatically so didnt count as a win.

I presume this is a standard BGA rule (abandon automatically if over time). But seems like a player that is doing particularly well can effectively not win the match as a result of this rule. Should your time allocated be increased if you have more toys? Or is it just tough, and I have to play quicker (and probably less optimally) in future?!
Jest Phulin

Re: Running out of time

Post by Jest Phulin »

Clock implementation is a site-wide feature, and not available to be modified on a per-game basis.

Essentially, there are 3 main times:
Initial thinking time.
Additional time per move.
Maximum thinking time.

These times are defined at table creation. As such, maximum thinking time cannot be increased based on game state.

What might be a possibility would be the definition of what is a "move" when applying the additional time per move. So, for example, using one of the bonus tiles could be considered a move, giving you more thinking time to use the next. However, this causes problems with the undo feature -- if additional time is added with every action, someone could delay a game indefinitely by using a bonus tile, then undoing that action.
diamant

Re: Running out of time

Post by diamant »

patrober wrote: 01 February 2021, 11:24I presume this is a standard BGA rule (abandon automatically if over time). But seems like a player that is doing particularly well can effectively not win the match as a result of this rule. Should your time allocated be increased if you have more toys? Or is it just tough, and I have to play quicker (and probably less optimally) in future?!
These are the tournament games that are automatically ended after the time limit for all players has been exceeded.

When a player exceeds the time allotted to him personally, any other player can expel him from the game. Before joining a table, you should consider that other players may want to enjoy playing a board game at the pace of their choice, and that winning games is not the only goal of BGA members.

I find too often that some players join games knowing that they will never be able to respect their time. In particular, when a player has already exhausted his time while he has made only one or two game actions (sometimes none) of the game, I have no qualms about finishing the game, and deciding that I will no longer play with this player.

The principle is not to let the undelicate players impose their rhythm of play.

Return to “Kingdom Builder”