Joker in Arena games

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Steve N

Joker in Arena games

Post by Steve N »

Anyone else dislike this?

Hitting a Yahtzee always takes a dose of luck but it doesn’t always make for a guaranteed win. Hitting two (or more) Yahtzees requires a BIG dose of luck and DOES (in all but the most extreme cases) guarantee a win. That means a certain number of games are going to be won by dumb luck and there is nothing either player can do about it.

Apart from being contrary to Arena’s supposed aim (finding the best players) it also kills the game stone-dead once a player hits a second Yahtzee. Very little point continuing after that.

Anyone else feel the same?
frogstar_A

Re: Joker in Arena games

Post by frogstar_A »

The +100 points rule is a bad rule. It's sufficient that a second Yahtzee is a Joker.

That said, I don't think a second Yahtzee kills every game stone dead - as long as the opponent also has a Yahtzee, as they can then aim for a second.

Today in fact I lost a game even though I got 2 Yahtzees, because my opponent got 3.

What I don't like about the rule is that it makes a mockery of all the skill in filling in the other boxes to suddenly get +100 from nowhere for - as you say - just luck.
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

SluggerBaloney wrote: 27 September 2020, 17:46
Apart from being contrary to Arena’s supposed aim (finding the best players) it also kills the game stone-dead once a player hits a second Yahtzee. Very little point continuing after that.
Not sure what you are on about here. The whole point of "Arena" mode is flawed. The RNG on this site is beyond broken, so any game relying on randomness (like Yahtzee) isn't going to mirror anything close to real life. Any game without RNG like chess has online solvers that cheaters will use to play an unbeatable game.

You just accept it or leave the site.
Yet another unproven claim...
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

SluggerBaloney wrote: 27 September 2020, 17:46
Not sure what you are on about here. The whole point of "Arena" mode is flawed. The RNG on this site is beyond broken, so any game relying on randomness (like Yahtzee) isn't going to mirror anything close to real life. Any game without RNG like chess has online solvers that cheaters will use to play an unbeatable game.

You just accept it or leave the site.
We notice you're still here.
Nébru

Post by Nébru »

Dire "tu acceptes ou tu quittes" est idiot : c'est ça que font les joueurs face à +100 : le jeu n'a plus d'intérêt que tu n'as AUCUNE chance de remonter…
Donc ça casse le jeu…
(rien à voir avec la vie ou autre chose, c'est juste garder la chance contre la chance…)
JFizDaWiz

Post by JFizDaWiz »

hit a double the other day with a final score of 410, there was no chance of me losing at that point.

Return to “Yahtzee”