The Pyramids

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Pistol Star

The Pyramids

Post by Pistol Star »

I would love to see this utterly weak wonder to be buffed.
It should at the very least score 10 VP's. I would definitely change it's value to 11 VP's though.
I think this would be very well balanced with the rest of the game.
It is by such a huge margin the worst wonder.

It doesn't attack nor defend vs science and military and then still only scores a measly 9 VP's for not even the nicest resource costs.
It is best compared to either The Great Lighthouse (the only other wonder in the game which nearly only influences the civil winning condition) or to the Sphinx.
Let's compare it to the Sphinx. The Sphinx has similar costs and scores 6 VP's with an added extra turn!
So the designers (amazing designers by the way) essentially say that the extra turn is worth exactly 3 VP's and nothing else?!
Not even considering how an extra turn can be often the game decisive move to win the game instantly via science or military which would be in such case worth an infinite amount of VP's.
And of course an extra turn can also be used to score much, much more than 3 points in the following turn while also often (not always) denying a whole turn for the opponent which is worth another staggering amount of net victory points! Plus the extra turn use denied our opponent getting the extremely strong VP's card themselves.

My whole point is that the Pyramids must be a much more intimidating (attacking) wonder when it comes to the civil winning condition.
As it stands now it doesn't even do that by much if at all with the measly and unflexible 9 VP's effect.
Mainly because of the rule which says there can only be a total of 7 Wonders built by both players.
If a player therefore chooses to build the Pyramid before any other wonder that player would lose a lot of flexibility and usually also a better wonder in case the other player chooses to finish their 4 wonders first.
If a player chooses to build their other 3 wonders first in order to then be (maybe!) able to play the Pyramids after that they would lose all the flexibility to defend vs science and military by having 0 extra turns left.

As it stands right now I usually always abandon The Pyramids right from the get go and mainly only focus on my other 3 wonders as it is rarely correct to do otherwise. That's obviously not that great.

It's just such a big disadvantage for any player to start with The Pyramids as it stands right now.
Last edited by Pistol Star on 26 February 2021, 13:05, edited 3 times in total.
Morimer

Re: The Pyramids

Post by Morimer »

I´ve been thinkg just the same: 11 victory points. I think i will change this to my analog table games..
KongKing123

Re: The Pyramids

Post by KongKing123 »

Well the Wonder is what it is in the physical game, so this will not be changed here. Your best bet is to contact Repos so it can be changed in a second edition: https://rprod.com/index.php?page=faqs

I agree a small buff would be warranted, though 9 VP is nothing to scoff at.

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”