7WD Strategy vs Luck

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Wonderful Plays

Re: 7WD Strategy vs Luck

Post by Wonderful Plays »

Pistol Star wrote: 25 February 2021, 12:00 @ Wonderful Plays

Thank you for your thoughts and pardon me for the late reply. I was writing a reply a long time ago but then got busy with something else and then my whole post was lost and I was away for vacation :D Man, was I tilted :D

1. Wow. So if let's say 3 players (1800, 1700 and 1600) are playing against each other and let's say the 1800 gets the 1st place, 1700 gets 2nd place and 1600 gets 3rd place. Then isn't it that 1700 will score 0 Arena Points and 1800 wins arena points just like he/she won against both 1700 and 1600 imaginary 2 player games? Let's say it gives the 1800 player 15 Arena Points vs the 1700 and 10 Arena Points vs the 1600 player. Isn't 1800 then scoring 25 Arena points and the 1600 is losing 25 Arena Points? I would call that fair. I hope it works like that.

It doesn't. Instead of getting 25 points in this example you get around 8-12 I believe.

2. I might have worded this differently. But if there are 4 players in a pool and they each want to play 1 game: 7 Wonders -> 1 game total. 7 Wonders duel -> 2 games.

3. But the 2nd place didn't "loose" he was ranked lower, but he didn't play two seperate games with 1 win 1 loss, he gained 2 place in one game. I think the ELO score is not something that works best for multiplayer games. The main problem right now is that 4 player 7 wonders you can be at 2nd place and still loose ELO or gain 0. 2nd in 4player game is a good place, it should be a small win.

4. Regarding Victory Conditions: I found the best success in all-inning at some point. For me games are the most fun when you are constantly (at least thinking about) switch your strategy. In 7 Wonders I do that 2/3 of the game and 3rd age is very tactical. In 7WD after Age1 strategies are very often set in stone (against great players) and you are just executing.

5. Big thanks to providing your POV very fun to read. I'd just comment on 3 cards missing. It rubs me the wrong way that I can go for scientific victory (and it may be my best strategy % wise) and from the very start it wasn't possible to achieve it. I shouldn't be frustrated at that, but for some reason I am :) The instant loss also provokes worse feelings in me that point loss. In 7W I can be like: I lost by one coin, I played well it was close. In 7WD oh he flipped that here, we don't even see age3. It is funcionally the same, but my emotions are different.

I think 7WD is one of the most brilliant games made in the last decades, it just isn't something that I constantly reach out for after playing hundred times, I have to be in a mood for it. While 7W I can play anyday, just because it's so pleasant to just pick the cards, maybe it's because there is less stress/tension actually?

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”