Bidding card games / optimal number of players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Shobu

Bidding card games / optimal number of players

Post by Shobu »

There's several bidding card games here,and i'm pretty lost which one i should focus on :D and how many players they required for being best enjoyed.
I feel 99 is really subtle and elegant, maybe it's the best?

So far i have listed:
Herloff (2p)
99 (seems a 3p game, but 2p/4p also listed on official website)
Oh hell (4p+?)
Oh seven (4p?)
Wizard (4p+?)
traddles27

Re: Bidding card games / optimal number of players

Post by traddles27 »

99 can be played in 4 players here (in 2 not yet), but is not recommended by the developer. I haven't tried it in 4 yet, it's just been launched a couple of weeks ago (the 4-player option).

From what you listed there I only play(ed) Oh Hell!, I must say 99 is way better. Unfortunately very few people play 99, so it's quite hard to get to play.

I want to try Wizard, added it to my favorite games yesterday, to test it in alpha.

Other bidding card games on bga:

Coinche
Belote
Skat

They're ok, but I prefer 99 to those as well, I feel luck is a bit less involved in this one, though you'll get once in a while a 2 diamond and small cards on the other colours hand (almost impossible hand) or a perfect hand to reveal.

There's also Bids, a bit different, at first i thought it's just a silly game, but there's lot of strategy involved there, but you can get a very bad hand and get the game ruined in only one round (still played only a couple of games, can't rate it properly atm)
Bids

Post by Bids »

I can only agree with traddies that Bids is an interesting game ;) with the "one bad round can really mess up your game", those chances are very low in my opinion, but it can be true in a 3-player game yes. But even then I think your game should not be over because you will benefit from the underdog position afterwards.
Hayden76

Post by Hayden76 »

traddles27 wrote: 10 February 2021, 19:36 Unfortunately very few people play 99, so it's quite hard to get to play.
I just started playing and slowly learning so I'm up for a game if you want to help me along :)

Return to “99 (trick-taking card game)”