A case of misconduct

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
TygerTad

A case of misconduct

Post by TygerTad »

https://boardgamearena.com/9/ninemensmo ... =149187949

The game is clearly draw and nobody is making blunders.

I offered draw 3 times but my opponent refused and he offers continuously to abort the game, so he doesn't lose his Elo points.

This is an unpleasant episode of unfairplay conduct, probably there isn't the draw for 50 moves rule like in chess, so we are playing for the etenity.

My opponent also takes advantage this is an arena mode match and when season 4° ends, the match will be automatically aborted and he will save his Elo points.

What can i do? I want to report his miscounduct and suggest to introduce some draw rules like in chess to avoid infinity games and unfairplay conduct of opponents.
KongKing123

Re: A case of misconduct

Post by KongKing123 »

The only real option you have against the player in question is to give him a public red thumb. At least you won't have to play him again afterwards.

Apparently the developer considered the option to offer a draw enough: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=7528

A suggestion for forced draws exists: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=10954
TygerTad

Post by TygerTad »

Thanks for your answer but it doesn't fix the issue.

I saw both games you posted and they finished with aborted game or timeout of a player.

My current position in the match is a theoric draw position, 0,000000000001% to make a blunder and lose it.

In chess there are lots of draw rules to solve this absurd situation, draw for: 50 moves, threefold repetition, dead position, etc.

My opponent is very unfair, unbielevable what players do to not lose Elo points... :roll:

Red thumb isn't sufficient to avoid these misconducts.

Take a look at Hanabi games, 90% of players abort games to save Elo points :?

Maybe it could be interesting to introduce a new category of report players: players which abort too many games are punished.
aesche

Post by aesche »

Take the abandon and be happy that he doesn‘t just insist on playing till forever.

The actual issue here is that for a draw, which hardly requires any skill to reach for you and other new / unranked accounts, he‘d lose about 30 arena points and 20 ELO, for which he‘d need 10-20 wins without further losses / draws to make up for.

The dev doesnt care/agree, but in a game that is supposed to end in a draw and easily can get there, a draw should not lead to such drastic score changes. Connect 4 proves that it‘s technically possible to solve this differently (and that‘s not even a draw game).
This leads to issues as yours, and even worse to top players coming up with new unranked accounts to take down competitors.

Abandons in such a situation are the best way to circumvent a poor implementation.
TygerTad

Post by TygerTad »

Aesche, what did you write is a serious mental health problem, this is called Elo points addicted, which is one the most common symptoms of those who suffer from a gambling addiction.

A normal game between 2 honest players should finish with a Win, Draw or Lose.

I'm a professional chess player and board games lover, i don't care about Elo points.

If my opponent plays well and the position ia a theoric draw, my opponent deserves to get the draw, you can't force him to abort a game for a whilm of a child, who cries when he loses Elo points...

In chess there are draw rules like: threefold repetition or draw for 50 moves, etc., to avoid similar misconduct.

Anyway, i abort games only for serious reasons.

If you or other players like you suffer losing Elo points, quit the game... :D
apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 »

Hi Folks
I've added a forced draw after 40 moves without a stone being taken. Hopefully this will put an end to those hoping to dodge ELO reductions by this sort of unfair behaviour.
Best wishes
A.
TygerTad

Post by TygerTad »

This is a great news!

Thank you Apollo :D
Rislyn

Post by Rislyn »

TygerTad, I don't really think I should be picking up the debate one way or another, because no matter what I think about it, the information has been acted on.

However, I would say that it is difficult to see the conversation turn so ... mean in your answer to Aesche. When I started reading, I expected to see a discussion of the different sides of the issue. What I did not expect was where you pushed your point very quickly into a personal (and below the belt) attack. It really takes away from the discussion if you feel like you have to ridicule someone to make your point.

Thank you for considering this in the future.
TygerTad

Post by TygerTad »

Dear Rislyn,

I smell holiness in your words...
You will be a great judge in your life :lol:

Anyway, there is no way to describe this misconduct with sweet words.

There are scientific studies for this particular kind of ludopathy.
A game must be a hobby and fun, people that get very angry when they lose and chase Elo points lost, are similar to people that chase money lost in gambling.

Bet regards!

Return to “Nine Men's Morris”