Time limit in "Fast" mode

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ElisaWilson

Time limit in "Fast" mode

Post by ElisaWilson »

Hello everybody!

Twice now I've played 6 nimmt in fast mode and there's something bothering me regarding the time limit.
According to the options one gets +18s per turn with maximum allotted time of 1:54m. However, when I play I see how my time goes down by amount I didn't use.

For example:
At the beginning of the turn I have 1:30m.
I click immediately on the card I want to play and then wait for the other players to pick their cards. Remaining time: 1:28m.
Everybody else has made their choice and the cards are put on the table. Suddenly I only have 1:06* left.
Next turn: I have only 1:24m to think.
This means that every turn I have less and less time in general. In a game that lasts long, at some point I simply don't have any time left.

* I'm not sure if the amount is exact, but I know for sure, that I've lost at least a couple of times about 20-22 seconds without doing anything.

This doesn't only happen to me, but to all other players as well. The first time I played in fast mode I didn't notice what's going on until late in the game so I got a timeout (?). I wasn't the only one.
In the second game, I always played a card the second I had the chance and I barely managed to not go in the red area of the timer. I was the only one who managed to not get a timeout out of 9 or 10 players. It was extremely stressful and not fun at all. In fact I wouldn't have entered the second game if I had seen in advance that it's in fast mode.

My quetions:
1. Is it supposed to work like this?
2. If so, why is it not mentioned anywhere in the instructions / FAQ that you're getting less and less time each turn?
3. How are you supposed to finish the game without a timeout if you need more than a second to decide? (more of a rhetorical question)

I'm sorry if you've already discussed this somewhere. I searched for answers in FAQ and for a similar topic in the forum, but couldn't find one neither in this subforum, nor in the "Discussions" one. I'm happy to hear / read your answers and opinions.

Have a nice day and Happy Easter to those celebrating it! :)

P.S. Yes, I know I can simply always play in normal mode. I'll do this from now on, but I still want to understand what I'm missing from the big picture.
qwertasdfg

Re: Time limit in "Fast" mode

Post by qwertasdfg »

You're missing that the time the animation takes is deducted from your total time, too. Because if you refreshed at the beginning of the animation you could already select your next card. No, I don't think it makes sense either. Yes, I've reported that already a few times. It only concerns high player counts, with only four or five players it doesn't make you run out of time. But because it only affects a small portion of games, it has been ruled as a good time setting, still
ElisaWilson

Post by ElisaWilson »

qwertasdfg, thank you very much for your answer! I didn't know this:
Because if you refreshed at the beginning of the animation you could already select your next card.

This explains it all. And yes, both times I played in fast mode it was with 9-10 players, so it was quite stressful.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

There really is no reason to play on fast speed except to stop games early whenever you are losing. if you look at your last 20 games on fast speed and also your last 20 games on normal speed, you will see that the games generally take the same amount of time.

Players generally don't play faster or slower because of this setting. However there are more abandoned games on fast speed, usually because the player in last place kicks someone if possible.

Return to “6 nimmt!”