SKULL: I like to save bones for special occasions

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Rykar

Re: SKULL: I like to save bones for special occasions

Post by Rykar »

Playing turn-based instead of real-time, it would be extremely helpful to be able to mouse over my stack of tiles to see their order if they contain a skull.
Rocker81

Post by Rocker81 »

Good game!
I like that the numbers of card are show next to the name of the player (like money in coup) or in the board more confortable.
In cell specially is dificult watch how many cards have any players
Last edited by Rocker81 on 21 April 2021, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ludo Dave

Post by Ludo Dave »

The dark blue background for the playing area makes it very difficult to read the player names. It might be the absolute worst background color for displaying colored type.

And yes, it is difficult to instantly see how many cards (coasters) are in each pile to follow direction of play.

I say this as a lover of the game but an onlooker on BGA, because I know these two "bugs" would keep my group from playing it. Please address!!!
JackKey

Post by JackKey »

DukeOfPrunes wrote: 15 April 2021, 13:38 Another tip for the developers: it could be useful (on turn-based games) if there were a symbol to remind me that I've previously lost the Skull. Thanks
There is a memo field in the top-right corner to write notes for yourself. It's quite useful in the turn-based games.
So you can make a note about the Scull there.
Johny_rc

Post by Johny_rc »

I know exactly what I am talking about, I checked the rules online before posting this.

The first player for the next round should not be the person who challenged *unless* that person wins their challenge. If they lose their challenge by flipping another player's Skull then that player should be first player next round, and it definitely was not playing that way last week (I don't know if it has been fixed since then).

If they have fixed the rules now then that's fine, but when I posted this these rules were definitely implemented wrong.

I will see if my group wants to try it again tonight, but why they can't get these things right straight away is a worry for such a simple game. As someone else commented, whatever happened to Beta releases to fix these things? At least if it's marked as 'Beta' then I can expect rules to be wrong.
andrewroy39 wrote: 15 April 2021, 05:18 Lol how are you going to complain about the rules being wrong and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about? On your first point, the start player for the next round is always the player who was challenged, not the person who's skull was flipped, unless the challenger lost their last card (and this is a super central rule to the game). On your second point, the rule which is properly implemented is if you lose your last card by flipping over your own skull, then you choose who goes first, but if you lose your last card by flipping over someone else's card then they go first. Not sure if you meant that by your comment or not, but that's definitely how it works. Both of those rules are exactly properly implemented and you just don't seem to know the rules. You are absolutely right on your third point that as soon as everyone else is eliminated that player should win though.
Johny_rc wrote: 14 April 2021, 22:19 Given how small the ruleset is for this game, it is astonishing how much of it they got wrong.

Please can you fix the following;

1) The start player after a failed challenge should be the player whose Skull was chosen, not the person who challenged
2) If you kill yourself you should get to choose who starts the next round. This did happen on one occasion, but we are fairly certain it did not happen on other occasions
3) Once all but one player is eliminated the game is over....except it isn't apparently. The last player has to play a round on their own and it is conceivable that this would be with only their Skull card to play at which point they would be dead as well and nobody would win...pretty sure that ain't in the original rulebook.

Our group has agreed not to play this again until these problems are solved, so I look forward to hearing when that hapens.
AnotherPlayer

Post by AnotherPlayer »

I think you need to reread the rules again. From the rules “ Whether the bet has been won or lost, the challenger is the first player for the next round, which starts again at phase 1.” So if a challenger loses they still go first.

Johny_rc wrote: 21 April 2021, 19:37 I know exactly what I am talking about, I checked the rules online before posting this.

The first player for the next round should not be the person who challenged *unless* that person wins their challenge. If they lose their challenge by flipping another player's Skull then that player should be first player next round, and it definitely was not playing that way last week (I don't know if it has been fixed since then).

If they have fixed the rules now then that's fine, but when I posted this these rules were definitely implemented wrong.

I will see if my group wants to try it again tonight, but why they can't get these things right straight away is a worry for such a simple game. As someone else commented, whatever happened to Beta releases to fix these things? At least if it's marked as 'Beta' then I can expect rules to be wrong.
andrewroy39 wrote: 15 April 2021, 05:18 Lol how are you going to complain about the rules being wrong and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about? On your first point, the start player for the next round is always the player who was challenged, not the person who's skull was flipped, unless the challenger lost their last card (and this is a super central rule to the game). On your second point, the rule which is properly implemented is if you lose your last card by flipping over your own skull, then you choose who goes first, but if you lose your last card by flipping over someone else's card then they go first. Not sure if you meant that by your comment or not, but that's definitely how it works. Both of those rules are exactly properly implemented and you just don't seem to know the rules. You are absolutely right on your third point that as soon as everyone else is eliminated that player should win though.
Johny_rc wrote: 14 April 2021, 22:19 Given how small the ruleset is for this game, it is astonishing how much of it they got wrong.

Please can you fix the following;

1) The start player after a failed challenge should be the player whose Skull was chosen, not the person who challenged
2) If you kill yourself you should get to choose who starts the next round. This did happen on one occasion, but we are fairly certain it did not happen on other occasions
3) Once all but one player is eliminated the game is over....except it isn't apparently. The last player has to play a round on their own and it is conceivable that this would be with only their Skull card to play at which point they would be dead as well and nobody would win...pretty sure that ain't in the original rulebook.

Our group has agreed not to play this again until these problems are solved, so I look forward to hearing when that hapens.
AlexEverard

Post by AlexEverard »

love the game, love the artwork.
Suggestion - please can I see what discs I have played, and have in hand? If its a large game, by tthe time its my turn again I forget what I played!
Thanks
Alex
Johny_rc

Post by Johny_rc »

My apologies, you are correct. I believe we were reading the rule from the 'Eliminated player' rule, which states that the player whose Skull was flipped will be the first player. Also the 'official' rules linked from here actually don't include the line about the challenger being the first player, thought the 'English Rules' do, so that may be what confused us. I think we have always played that if you flipped another players skull then that player starts the next round.

It is frustrating to not know who the first player is, it seems strange that they didn't implement a 'first player' marker like they do on most other games.

Enjoy gaming.
J.
AnotherPlayer wrote: 22 April 2021, 03:12 I think you need to reread the rules again. From the rules “ Whether the bet has been won or lost, the challenger is the first player for the next round, which starts again at phase 1.” So if a challenger loses they still go first.

Johny_rc wrote: 21 April 2021, 19:37 I know exactly what I am talking about, I checked the rules online before posting this.

Luc_Tonnerre

Post by Luc_Tonnerre »

SimonCox wrote: 14 April 2021, 17:50 "Skull is not a game of luck; it's a game of poker face and meeting eyes."

Hmmm - thats not going to work so well on here though is it...
You've got a point there, but I play many BGA games with people I see on camera.
And hey! It's free to play so it might get known to a greater public.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”