Why is the communication token not placed automatically?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Re: Why is the communication token not placed automatically?

Post by Phoxtrot »

ufm wrote: 03 February 2021, 08:58 How about 2~9? Unlike Hanabi conventions it is not always applicable but rather a rare occasion.
And actually '1 is my only card' is just enough to indicate a rocket.
Don't have one, then run a long suit instead. No need to adopt that after all.
Well, you can assign a meaning to lowest/highest on a single 2-9 too.

And no, it wouldn't really indicate a rocket by default if you don't have a convention. It depends on the circumstances.

Example:
If you are tasked to take the 7red and have only the 1red, the 2 ways to communicate(3 ways in fact, because saying that 1 is your lowest also clearly can be conventional in that scenario) would either indicate that you can to win the task by playing a rocket on a red trick or that something else must be found (you'll have to do tricks in some other color and have someone discard the 7 red). This can for instance save time if there are other tasks to be done afterward.

Now, whether such conventions are in the spirit of the game or not, that is up to every game group to decide for themselves.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Phoxtrot wrote: 03 February 2021, 09:33 Well, you can assign a meaning to lowest/highest on a single 2-9 too.
How do you distinguish whether the communicated card be actually the only card of that suit or not in that scenario?
That just doesn't make sense, unless players can track all required cards for deduction which is a rare occasion as I mentioned.
Phoxtrot wrote: 03 February 2021, 09:33 And no, it wouldn't really indicate a rocket by default if you don't have a convention. It depends on the circumstances.
I guess you didn't understand my previous post then.
Have a rocket: communicate the only card.
Do not have a rocket: communicate long suit instead.
No reason to communicate other cards in that case anyway.

Don't have a convention? Take a look at BGA Hanabi where 'play left' has become the norm.
Besides, communicating the single as the highest/lowest is already a (more convoluted) convention itself.
Phoxtrot wrote: 03 February 2021, 09:33 Now, whether such conventions are in the spirit of the game or not, that is up to every game group to decide for themselves.
Ignoring the spirit of the rules in own favor, that's called rules lawyering.
BGA is not an individual gaming group, but a platform. Game implementations need a definite standard.
imo, allowing this does more harm than good, causing needless confusions and giving an extra room for mistakes or trolls.
For reference, BSW rule does not allow this kind of placement, if my memory serves right.
sergut

Post by sergut »

We have a new version of The Crew at BoardGameArena and most of my comments have been addressed! :D

Thank you, Tisaac! :D
sergut wrote: 28 January 2021, 19:22 For the purposes of communication, one player can select a card to communicate to others. One click is enough and the card is shown to everybody.

Then the player is asked to place the token and I wonder: why? why is this not done automatically? :?:
In the new version, this is done automatically.
sergut wrote: 28 January 2021, 19:22 On a related note, why does the game give the option to place the token "up" or "bottom" when the card is the only card in the hand? Although the only card is technically also the highest and the lowest card, the way the rules are written it seems clear that the token can only go "in middle of card". Why give the option and allow players to misclick?
In the new version, when communicating a card as the ONLY, the token is automatically placed in the middle.

In addition to these two great changes, there is now a Confirm/Cancel option when communicating, which my fat fingers greatly appreciate. :lol:

Once again, thank you very much, Tisaac! 8-)
greengecko

Post by greengecko »

hi,
a great implementation. when i played the game there is one nuisance. namely tha5 the confirm button when communicating pops up at the top of the field and this is regularly overlooked by players. stopping the game and annoying all other players. any chance to have the confirm button pop up next to the communication token. would be much easier to confirm and would not be overlooked.

Thanks for the implementation.

cheers
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

greengecko wrote: 28 April 2021, 12:06 hi,
a great implementation. when i played the game there is one nuisance. namely tha5 the confirm button when communicating pops up at the top of the field and this is regularly overlooked by players. stopping the game and annoying all other players. any chance to have the confirm button pop up next to the communication token. would be much easier to confirm and would not be overlooked.

Thanks for the implementation.

cheers
I think there is already a suggestion for this matter, feel free to upvote it to make it more visible :)

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”