I've noticed an increase in newer users acting very strange

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CanuckEddie

I've noticed an increase in newer users acting very strange

Post by CanuckEddie »

Recent plays at 2p have had a number of very odd behaviours from opponents that makes me suspect someone is trying to write a script to play this (to what end? No idea).

The general symptom is an unreasonable use of proceeding despite logic suggesting other tactics and zero response in chat, but the reason I post is that I've hit the perfect example of my suspicion.

In one of these games yesterday the other player, who never would stop, actually went so far as to complete three columns (less obvious ones to, like 3,5 and 9 if I recall) AND CHOSE TO ROLL AGAIN ANYWAY.

Perhaps I'm just finding crazy people. I don't know. I just flag them and move on, but wanted to ask if anyone else is seeing suspicious activity?
Joseph Guillerey

Re: I've noticed an increase in newer users acting very strange

Post by Joseph Guillerey »

You might want to check if it is their first game, i did something like that on mine. i hadn't read the rules and had what was in hindsight the most glorious streak i ever had. but since the game gave me the option to continue i did, and lost it all
Rislyn

Post by Rislyn »

I think I'm actually a little confused what the problem is and why you'd flag them... People play differently in this game and are more willing to risk certain things. Sure, some people only go further when they have a 6 7 8. Some people see that as too safe, because if they actually make the weird column then they have a huge leg up on winning.

How many times do they fail when they do this? Them running up a weird column and failing a few times before they manage it may actually get them the equivalent of how far you get in 3 turns.

Also, when you see this, does it happen when you're close to winning? Because I'll tell you, if it's the choice for me between definitely losing next turn and seeing how far I can run up a weird column, I am absolutely going to try to run up the weird column to win. I've done that twice on an 11 before. Shocked the life out of me, but it worked. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

And in the end, sure, this is kinda a game of strategy. But it's also a game of luck. I didn't actually take the time to go an accurate calculation of the probabilities involved in that happening, but I seriously doubt it's all that low since the rolls aren't correlated. Some people just play the odds differently. That's where the strategy part of this game comes in.

What I do think is that it's kinda rude to flag people who use a different strategy than you (albeit a risky one) just because you think that means they're cheating... I think it's more fair to give people the benefit of the doubt. Actually, I'd suggest that if you haven't, go play some of the Can't Stop tournaments. The range of strategies is fascinating.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I don't think CanuckEddie was trying to flag people who used a riskier strategy. I think they were concerned about accounts that don't seem to have a human behind them.
CanuckEddie wrote: 22 May 2020, 15:35 In one of these games yesterday the other player .... actually went so far as to complete three columns ... AND CHOSE TO ROLL AGAIN ANYWAY.
IE, the player was presented with the option of stopping and winning the game, or rolling and risking loss. They chose to roll.
Alebaster

Post by Alebaster »

I've noticed this too on at least 3 occasions. This was in the elite league. So I knew they weren't new players. But they had basically won and decided to roll anyway. The first time I took it as a mistake and maybe they didn't realize they had the victory. Then after two more times (different players) I thought are they just trying to rub it in. Very strange indeed.
CanuckEddie

Post by CanuckEddie »

Rislyn,

The reason I posed here, and flagged there, was three events

1) an insanely risky strategy clung to as if their life depended on it,
2) ...that paid off. They got all three columns on one turn.
3)...and then they rolled again and lost their progress.

It is only #3 that makes me do what I did, as that is beyond comprehension.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

I’m pretty sure if were writing a cheating bot the first rule I’d program is to tell it to stop when it’s won!

Yet a human playing on on a phone can easily press continue by mistake

What you describe sounds more human than machine.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

frogstar_A wrote: 24 June 2020, 01:53 Yet a human playing on on a phone can easily press continue by mistake
Been there. Done that.
Mr KevOne

Post by Mr KevOne »

Both the button is way too close together to be honest

They should place them more apart if you ask me

Return to “Can't Stop”