Palifico Round

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
cdunc123

Palifico Round

Post by cdunc123 »

According to the BGA wiki for Perudo, during a Palifico round, the initial pip-value of the opening bid cannot be changed. For instance, if the opening bid is two 3s, then subsequent bids must be three 3s or four 3s or five 3s, etc. The pip-value of 3 cannot be changed by subsquent bidders. Is that right?

The Perudo rules I learned by (for the physical game) allow any subsequent player who is himself/herself down to one die to raise the pip-value of the bid in a Palifico round, if he/she desires. That is NOT how it works here on BGA -- right?
Cixi-K

Re: Palifico Round

Post by Cixi-K »

No one answered you so I'm taking the time to do so. The official rule is that it is not possible to bid on another side of the dice during a Palifico round. BGA has implemented the official rule ;)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Cixi-K wrote: 13 October 2020, 22:19 No one answered you so I'm taking the time to do so. The official rule is that it is not possible to bid on another side of the dice during a Palifico round. BGA has implemented the official rule ;)
That's not the version of rules that I've got.

You can change the pip value if you yourself only have 1 die remaining.
Also you can't call Palifico if you've already done so (player previous to you goes out), or if there are only 2 players left.

I haven't played Perudo on BGA for a long time, but when I did it was all kinds of wrong, mostly by only letting you increase the pip value, which is wrong. 2 2's is a higher bid than 1 6.
Cixi-K

Post by Cixi-K »

Here are the official rules of the game in French (I am French).
Link of rules
It says that you can only increase the value of the de OR the number of dice (so when you are 1 die out of 6 you can only say 2 dice 6, 3 dice 6, ... or go on the Paco). When you announce Paco's, you are free to announce whatever you want as long as the number of dice is at least equal to the number of dice divided by two and rounded up from the previous announcement:
3 dice 5 => 2 or more Paco dice
4 dice 6 => 2 or more Paco dice

For the "Palifico" rounds NO ONE can change the value of the die, and you are Palifica every time you lose your penultimate die in the previous round (with the "Calza" you can lose several times your penultimate die).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

There are no official rules, because this game is born from the public domain.

The rules I've quoted above are from my english game of Perudo.

Also on a first google search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudo

If you think about it, not being able to increase the bid and lower the pip value narrows the choices of bidding so much it just becomes a pure chance game.
Maiic

Post by Maiic »

So, someone please add those options to this magnificent game :D

Another "official" rule as any we use to play by:
- Whenever it's your turn, you may reveal any number of dice you've got and put 'em out in the open for everyone to see. Now you make your call. You may hide your remaining dice and roll them again (if you have any).
- Also, the Calza rule could be played as if only the calling player is allowed to call Calza.
- Whenever your Calza succeeds, you also get the option to remove one die from each opponent. The (first) Palifico round is the last round in which this option is allowed.
- Palifico round is only after the very first time a player reaches his last dice.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

RicardoRix wrote: 16 October 2020, 10:59 There are no official rules, because this game is born from the public domain.
The game implemented on BGA is the version published by Asmodee and uses the rules included in the version published by Asmodee. So in the context of BGA, there are official rules.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

pjt33 wrote: 24 May 2021, 13:39
RicardoRix wrote: 16 October 2020, 10:59 There are no official rules, because this game is born from the public domain.
The game implemented on BGA is the version published by Asmodee and uses the rules included in the version published by Asmodee. So in the context of BGA, there are official rules.
Well the rest of the world plays it differently. Either the Asmodee rules are wrong or the rules were not translated correctly.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

RicardoRix wrote: 24 May 2021, 14:15
pjt33 wrote: 24 May 2021, 13:39
Well the rest of the world plays it differently. Either the Asmodee rules are wrong or the rules were not translated correctly.
Dudo is typically the kind of games where every group of players, especially across countries, have different variants. So I'm pretty certain those rules were used in at least some tables before the game was published by Asmodee.

But don't forget that on BGA, you're not playing the public domain game, you are playing Perudo as published by Asmodee and as created by "Cosmo Fry" and "Alfredo Fernandini" in 2009 (using some public domain game for inspiration).
This game is not treated like public domain games (Chess, etc), it is treated as a license game, and would become premium if Asmodee asked to.
[Though they will never ask to, as I believe BGA literally just need to get rid of the "Perudo" banner in game (and scrap any direct reference to Asmodee), and change the design of the aces on the dice to obtain a public domain game instead of Asmodee's game]
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

MoiMagnus wrote: 24 May 2021, 15:58 [Though they will never ask to, as I believe BGA literally just need to get rid of the "Perudo" banner in game (and scrap any direct reference to Asmodee), and change the design of the aces on the dice to obtain a public domain game instead of Asmodee's game]
They'd probably want to change the name as well (e.g. to Dudo or Liar's Dice), because Cosmo Fry and Alfredo Fernandini have registered Perudo as a trademark. (I just checked the UK register because I'm familiar with it, but I bet they registered it in a number of countries. In the UK it's registered for the categories of "games and toys" and "computer games").

Return to “Perudo”