Saying GG too early - sportsmanship/etiquette

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Nolan Kryptonite

Re: Saying GG too early - sportsmanship/etiquette

Post by Nolan Kryptonite »

I think it's usually a positive thing. I do it myself when the game is pretty much set and want to make sure the other person gets the message rather than a "gg" after everyone has left. :lol:
Yobust

Post by Yobust »

In my opinion better to say when games are just starting, to say wish all the best to all. Saying gg ( bon jeu) doesn't mean you wish the best to other players
LaChouetteOrtho

Post by LaChouetteOrtho »

I'll say GG whether I won or lost, as soon as it becomes obvious who the winner will be. Don't mean any direspect or lack of sportsmanship, as I genuinely enjoy most of the games I played on this website. I'll often add a bit more of a message to my GG if it was a really interesting game, but in most cases, a GG suffices, especially since a lot of people won't even stay long enough after a game to even read said GG.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

Question... Why don't you say: "Thanks for playing", "Thank you for the game", "Thanks", "TNX" or "Good day" (at the end of the game)?
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
LaChouetteOrtho

Post by LaChouetteOrtho »

Laziness, mostly, and also the fact that a lot of people don't hang around for even a second once a game is over. The longer the sentence, the less likely they are to see it. If I've been chatting with a player during the game, I'll tend to make more effort.

I don't really see how TNX would be better than GG though. To me, GG is more of a "I had fun, a shame you lost/congrats on your win". Thanking people for the game, while polite, does not really imply you had fun. You could simply be thanking them for their time, despite the game being awful and boring.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

LaChouetteOrtho wrote: 27 May 2021, 23:28 Laziness, mostly, and also the fact that a lot of people don't hang around for even a second once a game is over. The longer the sentence, the less likely they are to see it. If I've been chatting with a player during the game, I'll tend to make more effort.

I don't really see how TNX would be better than GG though. To me, GG is more of a "I had fun, a shame you lost/congrats on your win". Thanking people for the game, while polite, does not really imply you had fun. You could simply be thanking them for their time, despite the game being awful and boring.
Wow, gg is so complex...

1. One can write something different (or anything, even gg or a paragraph) a few seconds before the end of the game, to avoid what you said.

2. I also gave "tnx" as example in my previous reply to the post, because of the laziness i thought someone might mention next, which you did; 1 letter difference than "gg".
But "thanks for the game" is one of the automatic chatbox messages at the end of games, so only a click is needed, not having to write the whole text. While "gg" is not automatic, from what i know (i think there is "good game", but not "gg").
So you have to write "gg" (2 letters) but you only have to make a click for "thank you for the game" or "good game" or any of the other auto-messages (I will have to see after the next game, exactly the automatic messages).

3. If for instance A crushes B in a 1 on 1 game... and A says "gg"... I find that not ok for B, if B is more competitive or sensitive than most players. Or A could at least wait to see if B says "gg" or anything, first, then say "gg" or whatever. It is that simple...
Or if A, B and C play a game of 3, and B has no idea how to play and helps A without wanting to... this making C feel... like on a different planet, and both A and B say "gg" at the end of the game... again, 'don't see how "gg" can be ok for C.
Or if a player quits... and someone says... "gg". For what? It was not a good game.
I don't see how the "gg" could be good in those 3 situations, but i guess it depends on what "good" means for different people.

4. I personally prefer to have "thank you for playing with me" copy pasted for the end of every game, or use the automatic message or come up with something original, depending on the game.
Or if i find the game not too cool for different reasons, and I see someone says a "gg", i return an annoyed "no" and either leave or say "thanks for the game" or "good day" next.

5. I don't consider "gg" better than "thank you for the game/playing with me", and I don't consider it represents all you said it does for you.
But I understand your opinion, and accept the fact it is the most preferred way of "goodbye" and that this will probably never change; or the fact people from time to time post this type of posts, which has been debated since forever...
ExpendableEnsign

Post by ExpendableEnsign »

I take an early "gg" as a sign to check whether it's possible to improve my position at all. Like when a hearts player indicates that they will get all the remaining tricks, it can let other players know not to bother wasting time thinking about remaining actions.
nmego

Post by nmego »

Personally, I preferred it when you'd just have an automatic mechanical "gg" when the game ends, it just simplifies things. No misunderstandings, no hard feelings. I think that, the same way you might find issues with "gg", there are other issues with other words like "thanks for the game" etc..

I feel like, when I say something like "Thanks for the game", I have to ask myself first, "was it a good game?", and when I end up saying it, I feel like I'm disrespecting my opponent by saying, "hey, the game wasn't good enough/you didn't play well enough for me to call it a gg", and this act of judging whether the game was good enough for me to call it a good game feels unnecessary.

When I finish a game, I mostly want to disappear, maybe discuss it if there was something interesting. (Which, 90+% of the time doesn't happen). I mostly want to move on to the next thing. Just saying "gg" solves things immediately, it is like stating the game is over, goodbye game&opponent.
Ze Monstah wrote: 28 May 2021, 00:23 So you have to write "gg" (2 letters) but you only have to make a click for "thank you for the game" or "good game" or any of the other auto-messages (I will have to see after the next game, exactly the automatic messages).
I'd say that typing 2 letters is definitely faster than making two clicks with the mouse (automatic messages and then the message itself). But that's mostly a nitpick.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

nmego wrote: 28 May 2021, 07:05 I'd say that typing 2 letters is definitely faster than making two clicks with the mouse (automatic messages and then the message itself). But that's mostly a nitpick.
Of course you say that, being opposite of what I say.

But no. Apart from writing 2 letters (g g), you also have to click ENTER (most often on keyboard). ;)

So typing 2 letters, then pressing ENTER, kind of... takes a bit more time than 2 lousy mouse clicks (or touchpad clicks).
nmego wrote: 28 May 2021, 07:05 Personally, I preferred it when you'd just have an automatic mechanical "gg" when the game ends, it just simplifies things. No misunderstandings, no hard feelings. I think that, the same way you might find issues with "gg", there are other issues with other words like "thanks for the game" etc..

I feel like, when I say something like "Thanks for the game", I have to ask myself first, "was it a good game?", and when I end up saying it, I feel like I'm disrespecting my opponent by saying, "hey, the game wasn't good enough/you didn't play well enough for me to call it a gg", and this act of judging whether the game was good enough for me to call it a good game feels unnecessary.

When I finish a game, I mostly want to disappear, maybe discuss it if there was something interesting. (Which, 90+% of the time doesn't happen). I mostly want to move on to the next thing. Just saying "gg" solves things immediately, it is like stating the game is over, goodbye game&opponent.
Not sure I understood completely... :s
So you say that you prefer to say "gg" in all circumstances, even when you feel the game was not good? :s

We have differences of opinion, and I might be headstrong, but i am really trying to see how "thank you for the game" is not neutral and how it can be worse than "gg"... You are basically thanking the player(s) for playing with you, out of their time.

How can that cause any bad feelings? I don't understand.

Anyway...
Last edited by Ze Monstah on 28 May 2021, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.
admitted

Post by admitted »

If I lose, I just say gg or sometimes wp, but if I win, then I will say something along the line of thx for the game because some people really get agitated by gg.

To me, both are ways to acknowledge opponents after the game, similar to shaking your opponent's hands after a sports match. I don't read it as being a "good game".

Return to “Discussions”