Time Limit in Arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Adwiti

Time Limit in Arena

Post by Adwiti »

It seems as if the time limit in Arena is sometimes normal (with 4 minutes max. and a bit more than 1 miunte per turn) and sometimes fast (with 3 minutes max., and less than a minute per turn). Does somebody know, why this is the case?

In my opinion, even the normal limit is quite hard, in particular towards the end of a match, for example when a war was declared. Even though I understand that it seems doable for the, say, Top-50 players, the "fast" is way too fast for many players.

Furthermore, I think it is one of the reasons for the low player base, in particualr in Arena, as it feels way too stressful, and playing the game becomes more a clock-management than a strategy board-game.

The counter-argument would be, that it becomes boring for one player if its not his turn for some time. However, TtA is a game with quite long turns, and this is even more true as long as there is no "take-one-move-back" option, especially towards the end of a game. Playing online already reduces playing time significantly, and it should not be exaggerated.

Thus, I would even suggest to make the current "slow" time limit (6 min. max., a bit more than 2 min. per turn) the new "normal" and Arena-setting, also to lower the entry barrier for new players and eventually increase the player base. In any case, could the Arena settings at least please be changed back to the "normal" time limit instead of fast?
Tulivuori

Re: Time Limit in Arena

Post by Tulivuori »

You can set the preferences on what you want to play.

I think in most games, for a new player, the time limits are tight, while for experienced player they are more lenient (depending on how seriously they are playing, of course). Also, at least in some games the decision making may be more complicated with more players (especially for a new player), but that is not taken into account.
Adwiti

Post by Adwiti »

I can set preferences for arena? Didn't know that.
How?
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Adwiti wrote: 22 June 2021, 15:40 I can set preferences for arena? Didn't know that.
How?
Same method as in "automatics" mode, you click on the "cog" just below your current ranking, on the left hand side of the game's image.
Most options cannot be changed (and you will get an error message if you try to change them), but time can usually be changed.

Return to “Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization”