About the player colours...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tortom

About the player colours...

Post by Tortom »

I think it's a great game, and a great implementation, my only concern is the options for the player colours.

There has just been an update that has added a pattern to the colours, and this has made it easier to distinguish the white player from the marker used to block off cities. But now, in our four person game, we have two players who are a white pattern on a black background. The pattern is different so they are not indistinguishable (the one that used to be white is whiter overall), but still, I think this is potentially confusing and hard to talk about as both could be described as white pattern on black.

What I'd really like is for green and red to be added, so more people would be able to get their first choice of colours - I think green and red are available in most games. :mrgreen:
GameGirlCan

Re: About the player colours...

Post by GameGirlCan »

I think this is an excellent idea! It would be great if this would be done as an improvement. It would be consistent with a lot of other games.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

The tokens and meeples were originally adapted from the public BGA assets.
I have since received some updated higher-resolution images from the publisher. Redoing all of the token graphics and styles has been on my to-do list for a while. The tokens will certainly be more clear and distinguishable from each other and the board after I make this update. I will not be changing player colors.
Tortom wrote: 22 June 2021, 03:28 What I'd really like is for green and red to be added, so more people would be able to get their first choice of colours - I think green and red are available in most games. :mrgreen:
That's the reason that most games aren't accessible to a significant number of people with the most common form of colorblindness. That was an important consideration along with aesthetics for Ian O'Toole in deciding this color scheme. The BGA studio guidelines are clear that we must use the original art whenever possible. I understand that this graphic design is for printed 3d components, not 2d digital graphics, and that some leeway is needed to adapt everything to a digital platform, but compromising the graphic design and accessibility is out of the question.
Tortom

Post by Tortom »

I would certainly not want my request to reduce accessibility.

(I'm colour blind myself in that I can't distinguish some blacks and blues - they annoying flip back and forth.)

I think that one of the nice things about these online games is that some of the limitations of the physical games go away - I had imagined that more colour options could be added, and it wouldn't involve taking away options for other people.

I'm a little concerned that the approach of removing options to improve accessibility means (in theory) no green & red across all BGA. Or even more colours removed if we want to go beyond just the most common type of colour blindness. I think an approach to accessibility that provides more options not less is better, where practical.

But I've accept your decision on this of course - I know that accessibility is just one aspect and I think you're doing this as a volunteer so you have my my grateful thanks for a great game.

Return to “Carnegie”