Turn-based Communication

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TensorosneT

Turn-based Communication

Post by TensorosneT »

It is difficult to communicate at the start of a hand, unless you are the commander, since the BGA system does not alert you that you have the potential to take a turn. I suggest that everyone starts with their comm button pressed at the start of a hand—players can turn it off without using, if they want, but it would give a system-mandated *opportunity* to communicate. Otherwise, players have to drop-in on the game without a turn alert in order to request a comm opportunity. In my experience, long-time BGA players *never* drop-in on turn-based games unless the system tells them they have a turn to take.
Tisaac

Re: Turn-based Communication

Post by Tisaac »

TensorosneT wrote: 24 January 2021, 18:27 It is difficult to communicate at the start of a hand, unless you are the commander, since the BGA system does not alert you that you have the potential to take a turn. I suggest that everyone starts with their comm button pressed at the start of a hand—players can turn it off without using, if they want, but it would give a system-mandated *opportunity* to communicate. Otherwise, players have to drop-in on the game without a turn alert in order to request a comm opportunity. In my experience, long-time BGA players *never* drop-in on turn-based games unless the system tells them they have a turn to take.
I'm pretty sure you can ask to communicate at the next available spot. The communication card turns green in this case.

I've made it more clear in my version that you have a "pending" communication.
TensorosneT

Post by TensorosneT »

Yes, but on the first turn, *only* the commander gets notification that it is their turn. So only the commander gets the opportunity to communicated before the first trick. Unless other players drop in spontaneously when they do not get a turn notification. Which doesn’t really happen.

Another thing that would be *really* helpful for turn-based play (and would be an even better solution to the above problem) would be to have a mandated phase before the first trick and before any comm in which each player must choose whether to activate the distress beacon. This would ensure that the beacon is not overlooked (which happens most of the time, in my experience) *and* gives each player the opportunity to activate their comm-button before the first trick. This would be great for live play, too, not just turn-based, imho.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

TensorosneT wrote: 24 January 2021, 20:14 Yes, but on the first turn, *only* the commander gets notification that it is their turn. So only the commander gets the opportunity to communicated before the first trick. Unless other players drop in spontaneously when they do not get a turn notification. Which doesn’t really happen.

Another thing that would be *really* helpful for turn-based play (and would be an even better solution to the above problem) would be to have a mandated phase before the first trick and before any comm in which each player must choose whether to activate the distress beacon. This would ensure that the beacon is not overlooked (which happens most of the time, in my experience) *and* gives each player the opportunity to activate their comm-button before the first trick. This would be great for live play, too, not just turn-based, imho.
This is already implemented in new version ;)
TensorosneT

Post by TensorosneT »

Yep! Loving the new features! Thanks! :D

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”