Poll for future Letter Tycoon Arena season (and about cheating)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs

What should we do about future Arena mode?

Poll ended at 21 August 2021, 08:11

Status quo (Leave cheaters untouched)
18%
Force restrictive dictionary (eg. 12dicts) in Arena
45%
Abolish future Arena mode and rank trophies
36%

Total votes: 11

ufm

Poll for future Letter Tycoon Arena season (and about cheating)

Post by ufm »

Now half of the season has passed, but current situation is not one everybody was expecting.
Even though cheaters did always exist, due to BGA's negligence the whole Arena mode is degrading into negative experiences.
Forum posts prove it, and I also heard plenty of complaints from other fellow players.
Check out this another forum post: viewtopic.php?f=320&t=22201

As admins threw in the towel long before, active users should determine what to do.
Current Guru system votes cannot correctly reflect the changed situation after surikkat's blatant cheating.
Thus I opened an old-fashioned poll to collect opinion.

tl;dr
Status quo: Leave it be. They don't care. Why should I care?
Force restrictive dictionary: Don't want to see solvers but want to play Arena mode. I can endure a little inconvenience.
Abolish Arena mode and trophy: Had enough. Just 86 it. Arena mode and trophies are unnecessary for fun games.

Note: In Letter Tycoon challenge rule exists unlike Hardback. Forcing restrictive dictionary has risk of jeopardizing the entire season.

Edit: Closing the poll following Arena and ranking closure.
Last edited by ufm on 16 September 2021, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
frogstar_A

Re: Poll for future Letter Tycoon Arena season (and about cheating)

Post by frogstar_A »

I don’t see any point cancelling the Arena - just don’t play if cheaters are frustrating. Cancelling it spoils it for everyone.

If cheaters are identified they should be banned - we maybe need to put more pressure on admins?

12dict I’m not sure on - I guess it reduces the cheaters advantage but they will still cheat and be harder to spot as well. Not sure.

Fundamental there is no way to stop cheating at this game.
ufm

Re: Poll for future Letter Tycoon Arena season (and about cheating)

Post by ufm »

frogstar_A wrote: 24 August 2021, 19:31 I don’t see any point cancelling the Arena - just don’t play if cheaters are frustrating. Cancelling it spoils it for everyone.
Ranks and trophies are main motives of cheating for cheaters. They always want something to brag about.
I stopped playing Letter Tycoon for a different reason (the game heavily depends on multipliers, especially B and J).
But guess I won't be back if the situation, which already has been spoiled, does not change.
frogstar_A wrote: 24 August 2021, 19:31 If cheaters are identified they should be banned - we maybe need to put more pressure on admins?
Fundamental there is no way to stop cheating at this game.
They explicitly told they cannot identify cheaters. As I said they threw in the towel.
Unless they somehow employ automated anti-cheat mechanism (and it's highly unlikely).
frogstar_A wrote: 24 August 2021, 19:31 12dict I’m not sure on - I guess it reduces the cheaters advantage but they will still cheat and be harder to spot as well. Not sure.
It's risky to use narrower dictionary in a game with challenge rule. Read note part at the end.
Personally I'm against it, but some players suggested it so I added it as an option.

Return to “Letter Tycoon”