Revised rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
JayGatsby

Revised rules

Post by JayGatsby »

Hello, designer of Veletas here. I have revised the rules to fix the first-player advantage issue mentioned by Zugzwang. Here are the changes:
Black starts the game by placing three shooters and one black stone on empty squares of the board, and White follows by placing the remaining four shooters and one white stone in the same fashion. [...]

The pie rule is used in order to make the game fair. This means White will have the option, on their first turn only, to swap sides with their opponent instead of making a regular move.
Now the question is: how do I get these changes implemented? I have contacted the original developer, but he doesn't seem to be active any more. It would be great to have the updated version ready for the Veletas tournament at the Mind Sports Olympiad, which will take place five weeks from now.
Spiegel428

Re: Revised rules

Post by Spiegel428 »

JayGatsby wrote: 22 July 2021, 14:06 I have contacted the original developer, but he doesn't seem to be active any more. It would be great to have the updated version ready for the Veletas tournament at the Mind Sports Olympiad, which will take place five weeks from now.
In that case, perhaps a post in the developers forum might get more attention. I'd suggest reporting it in the bug tracker too, but if there's no active developer, I don't know that it'd get looked at.
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

Spiegel428 wrote: 22 July 2021, 16:23In that case, perhaps a post in the developers forum might get more attention.
Okay, I just did that. Thanks for the tip.
Dirty Patronus

Post by Dirty Patronus »

This is a great rule change! It's gonna take me a while to get used to the new game start tho, haha
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

The new version was made available to play here a few days ago. Thanks a lot to vurtan for programming it!
GRDavies

Post by GRDavies »

Ah, as an on and off player of Veletas i couldn't recall any pie rule and or placing of the one stone per player.
But the little mystery is solved :lol:

I'm no stranger to abstract games, but with Veleta's i still havent a clue how to play properly (or what the 'best practices' / fundamentals are), for me that's one of the attractions.

But apparently a pie-rule was needed?!? :lol:
And do the placing of the initial stones really matter that much?

Oh well, nice abstract and very original (imho).

Return to “Veletas”