Can admins close the Arena for Chess ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Herian

Re: Can admins close the Arena for Chess ?

Post by Herian »

I'm really disappointed by this decision. I enjoyed my last game of chess on arena, and I've never played against anyone who I thought was cheating, but now arena is closed for me as well. This does nothing to stop or deter cheating, but hurts honest players just for the sake of a few cheaters who will continue to cheat in normal mode if they want to cheat.
lynkowsky

Post by lynkowsky »

My fide rating is around 2000. On the Arena, my rank was 15-20. I cannot see how we can have so many cheaters when they should all be much better than me (a computer is easily rated over 3000). Ok, let's say we have 5 cheaters. And then, we should punish everybody ?

I am afraid everyboy is punished because some sore loser do not accept to lose against people better than them...
hasbeenthere

Post by hasbeenthere »

First, BGA has never been, and never will be a platform for serious chess games, no matter how you take it.
Come up through the ranks, and eventually encounters the flood of endless engine moves.
Besides, most of 'elite league' cheaters end the season after beating more than 20 players unjustly.
As a result the numbers of Arena players and games were rapidly decreasing. Now who's punishing who?
You are beating a dead horse. This conversation has been done to death.
lynkowsky

Post by lynkowsky »

You can have a look to my games. Many blunders. Many normal moves, and, probably, sometimes, a very clever one (well, I hope so). And, well, I am in the arena top 20.
So, the conversation is over only by people who do not have fun, whereas many have.

There are many games I do not like to play here, I do not ask BGA to close these game !
hasbeenthere

Post by hasbeenthere »

You were in top 20? How about other players then? Persistent cheaters? Occasional engine users?
'A serious competitive format without any form of engine regulation'? An oxymoron.
According to the numbers, 'people who do not have fun' were increasing and leaving arena.
When customers don't like a service most of them don't complain, but simply never use it again and find alternatives.
Arena chess was way beyond repair without doubt. Why deny it?

Does eliminating arena prevent playing chess from BGA? No, it doesn't.
Again, just limit your table settings to exclude >500. Almost all (if not all) real grandmasters do not play here.

People who do not have fun from chess just don't care. They even do not raise a thread like this.

By the way, most of games you do not like to play here do not have engines. Their arena modes don't have to be closed.
lynkowsky

Post by lynkowsky »

You do not like Arena chess. OK, do not play Arena chess.
I did like Arena chess. And I was not alone as I found various opponents of my strenght (playing non competitive games, it seems more difficult to have opponents of my streght). Why forbidding me to play it with these players ?

And "Does closing Chess Arena prevent cheaters to cheat ?" No they will cheat in non competitive games. I do not understand why a few people (I have read this thread and the "larger" one given here), a minority who comes to complain (most of the players do not come to the forums, they play - they only come when something is not ok), can decide for the others that they do not have the ability to play this game the way they like.
hasbeenthere

Post by hasbeenthere »

lynkowsky wrote: 20 September 2021, 08:10 I do not understand why a few people (I have read this thread and the "larger" one given here), a minority who comes to complain (most of the players do not come to the forums, they play - they only come when something is not ok), can decide for the others that they do not have the ability to play this game the way they like.
Most people do not come to the forums.
And yet plenty of them visited forum for years and pursuaded admininistrators to remove ranking and arena.
Advocators? Perhaps only you, for now. You are in minority. Keep denying.

Return to “Chess”