Alpha stage Tutorial

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TreffnonX

Alpha stage Tutorial

Post by TreffnonX »

I did the alpha stage tutorial, and thought afterwards, I'd get a chance to comment, but aparrently the platform does not foresee this, so I am writing about it here.

I like the tutorial in general (I gave it 4/5 stars), but I have some issues with the sequence of moves made and the highlighting and wording. I want to go into detail:

Slide 1:
Welcome to the Onitama tutorial
In this game, each player leads a martial arts school and must try to defeat their opponent with martial arts moves.
A point is missing after 'tutorial', I believe.

Slide 2:
The players' pawns consist of one master pawn and four student pawns. These pawns have no superiority of movement over each other and can only move with the cards
I would rephrase and add a point like this:
The players' pawns consist of one master pawn and four student pawns. These pawns have no superiority of movement over each other and are moved by playing one of two available cards.
Slide 3:
At any given time, each player has two cards available to move their pawns. When a card is chosen that card is exchanged with the card in the middle. Once the next player has made their move, that card becomes available to them.
Let's see how to move a pawn and exchange the card.
[The movement demonstration slides are perfect, imho!]

Slide 5:
In this game, there are only two ways to win
1. Capturing the opponent's master pawn
Or
2. Move to the opponent's Temple Arch space with your master pawn
I would rephrase:
There are two ways to win the game.
1. By capturing the opponent's master pawn.
2. By moving your master pawn to the opponent's Temple Arch space.
Slide 6: (already modified)
In this game, you should always try to predict your opponent's possibilities by considering their cards and pawn positions. Sometimes you need to retreat!
Slide 7: (already modified)
Now your opponent can capture your student with an ox card.
Slide 8: (already modified)
If you can find a way to capture your opponent's master, you will win the game but you have to be careful!
[The opponent's move after this one bugs me, because the 'own' master could be captured. Maybe blue should make a different move? Otherwise new players might not understand that this is an option.]

Slide 9:
Here the opponent tries to get closer to your Temple Arch with his master to win the game, but they missed a threat!
Slide 10:
Using the elephant card and moving your student pawn, you can capture your opponent's master and finally win the game. :)
It should maybe said, that I like the tutorial overall. It comprises the essential idea of the game, and conveys the message and intention. Making new players aware of predicting opponent's moves is especially nice, as it might prevent some frustration.

I would add, that the highlighting of cards in the slide about the cards is reversed to the one highlighting the pawns. In the pawn slide, the master is animated, the most important piece. In the cards slide, the middle card is animated (the least important card, as it can't be played atm). But this is a minor issue. Maybe it is possible to highlight differently? maybe without animation?

Thank you for preparing this awesome tutorial!

Return to “Onitama”