Trading goods for military during Settle phase

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
patrober

Trading goods for military during Settle phase

Post by patrober »

I had a couple of planets (eg. Rebel Sympathisers) that says something along the lines of "Settle: May remove one Novelty good for +1 military power". In one turn, when someone else settled, I had no colonists, so it defaulted my action to gaining +2 colonists. But it didnt give me the option to remove a good for military power.

Can you only do this action if you actually settle, or must you have colonists, or is it a bug? I naively assumed it meant during the Settle phase, you could do this trade. Couldnt see anything specific in the rules about it.
paramesis

Re: Trading goods for military during Settle phase

Post by paramesis »

The military boost from trading a good is temporary, only lasting for the duration of that settle action. Were you trying to use the world’s power just to remove a good?
patrober

Post by patrober »

paramesis wrote: 12 October 2021, 15:33 The military boost from trading a good is temporary, only lasting for the duration of that settle action. Were you trying to use the world’s power just to remove a good?
No, I was only wanting to use it during a Settle phase. I never got the option.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

If you aren’t able to settle that turn, taking colonists is your entire settle action, so the temporary military boost would immediately expire (see rules page 6). The only effect would be removing the goods cube. The implementation doesn’t currently allow you to do this outside of settling a military world, but it seems like it would be a legal edge case.
patrober

Post by patrober »

paramesis wrote: 12 October 2021, 17:08 If you aren’t able to settle that turn, taking colonists is your entire settle action, so the temporary military boost would immediately expire (see rules page 6). The only effect would be removing the goods cube. The implementation doesn’t currently allow you to do this outside of settling a military world, but it seems like it would be a legal edge case.
Cheers - i had read the rules but managed to miss the word "temporary". This changes my understanding of this power somewhat! So you can boost your military temporarily by using a goods token to settle a planet.

I had thought it meant (from the planet description) that during settle, you could trade in a good to increase your military power permanently.
Captain_Science

Post by Captain_Science »

There are actually cases where you'd want to do this: if you get money for producing on the relevant world type (e.g. from Diversified Economy) and you don't expect to use the good otherwise before the next produce. So it should be possible to do it even if it's not usually relevant.

Return to “New Frontiers”