Why are New worlds disabled for current arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Patapouf1

Re: Why are New worlds disabled for current arena?

Post by Patapouf1 »

Agree with everyone here, not choosing a starting world is annoying.

It can be changed. I've seen other games change rules mid-season, just not sure how to get the attention of people who can change it lol
hiei

Post by hiei »

Romain672 wrote: 09 October 2021, 13:40
Wonderful Plays wrote: 07 October 2021, 23:10My question would be this is there anyone who prefers to play vanilla without New Worlds in a competitive mode?
I'm not playing the game, so don't put much value on my opinion but random start can force you to try to do good things with a bad start, which is not rewarded otherwise.

But from what I read here, I suppose the rng part is way too annoying compared to that small argument.
I undestand your point but some starting worlds are specialized in helping you to get an early windfall so you can trade, like Epsilon Eridani or New Sparta. If you cant sell a good or at least produce with a rare world and you start with one of those worlds, then you will probably be forced to explore +6/+1, which not only benefits your opponent, but also add even more rng to the game. On top of that, If you get an early cheap windfall or you start with Alpha Centauri, then you are massively ahead.

I think the main complain about the new worlds i usually hear is more balance oriented: Worlds like Public Works or Galactic Trade Emissaries are extremely common picks because they are versatile, useful mid game, and they can give you a massive early advantage with a develop spam or a quick boosted trade respectively. Anyways, i think that having 2 worlds to pick makes the game much less rng dependant despite a relatively low chance of getting steamrolled by one of the New worlds combined with a hand that fits them perfectly, because the chance to getting bricked and being forced to explore is really big without your second pick
gentil

Post by gentil »

Agreed, i'm ok with the base game but at least add this bit of control
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

I got notification as a guru to vote, and I think my options were base game and TGS. I can’t even remember what I picked, but in any case, if I did pick base game, it certainly would’ve been under the assumption that the New Worlds would be included. I’m still playing arena now, but it feels kind of silly.

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”