Time outs are often unfair (to everyone else playing)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
LukeOverthinks

Time outs are often unfair (to everyone else playing)

Post by LukeOverthinks »

I understand the need for a mechanism to boot out people who run out of time, but often the way it is implemented in tournament settings is either unfair or renders the tournament scores pointless.

Often in a tournament where there are ten players in each game someone will time out and be booted out. Therefore most people in the tournament end up on the same number of points and the winner will then be one of the few people who ended up in a game that actually finished.

In elimination tournaments this is even worse as when someone is eliminated only three of the remaining five players go through to the next round and two are eliminated through no fault of their own. As far as I can tell the people who make it through are selected at random which means that you can be eliminated even if you were winning at the time. What is particularly galling is when one person who is losing by a long way waits until the last minute before they lose to boot someone else out of the game.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but as things stand there are far too many games that end unfairly and far too many tournaments where the scores don't accurately reflect the skill of the players involved.

I think personally I would prefer that games were allowed to continue after someone has timed out. This could either be that the round continues from where it was, or that it is restarted without the timed out player. Certainly there needs to some kind of system in place to prevent the abuse of the system outlined above. (I realise that you can always 'thumbs down' a player who abuses the system, but I'd prefer something that stops the issue from happening in the first place.)

What do others think? Any ideas?
nmego

Re: Time outs are often unfair (to everyone else playing)

Post by nmego »

Just add new time controls to tournament, I keep suggesting 1 move/day as an example, but that never receives enough support/attention.
QuillQueen

Post by QuillQueen »

Same problem i lived, at this table, at this moment ! https://boardgamearena.com/4/sechsnimmt?table=208402370

It was a short time to play, and i was in reflexion, without one word exchanged on chat, no sentence and no question, someone has kicked me on exactly -20seconds ! In a "quick time" game of 6nimmt, it's often than we were all in red time at final. it's a quick game version ! And it's normal ! Now, i had penalities, and i WAS PLAYING WHEN IT ARRIVED ! I JUST CHOSE A CARD ! And that i find it's unfair, it's with the anonymous of the people who had decided to expulsed me ! I prefere lock him and never play with this people, because he has just no patience ! And i've not this liberty, it's not normal. Everybody can do this and generated just problems to people, when it was just 20seconds passed ( in a 1minuts30 games, nobody has in black time at the final of theirs parts !)

I'm so angry, it's a reflexion game, and it's a trophee to impatient people and punished of patient people, you can see i'm not disconnected and i had click on recently, so, why this informations don't serve to the bot to say "non, we don"t expulse this player, he's here, please stand au little" ? It would be more constructive ! Or, unless, know who had choosen to expulsed me ! I'm obliged to lock all people of this game because i don"t know who did that, you find it's funny for us and me ? To be obliged to eject innocent of futures games with me ? Me not... :/
McBeanie

Post by McBeanie »

It shows in the game log which player kicked you out.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

I "Never" play on fast setting. There is absolutely no reason to play on this setting. The game isn't played faster. The only reason for this setting is so the last place player can boot someone and quit the game.

If you check your game history, you'll see that your last 10 games on fast went about the same speed as your last 10 games on normal. Again, there is only one reason for this setting, to quit early.

Return to “6 nimmt!”