First player advantage?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
galehar

First player advantage?

Post by galehar »

The first player advantage has been discussed a lot on BGG and elsewhere. Rules have been changed to reduce it (only 1 challenge card at setup). But is this enough? Good question.
Already, more than 10 thousands game have been played on BGA. First player is one of the stats being recorded. @Mistergos: could you tell us what is the win rate of the 1st player?
Thanks.
Mistergos

Re: First player advantage?

Post by Mistergos »

56% winrate for the first player.
galehar

Post by galehar »

Thanks! I've taken the discussion to BGG for increased visibility :)
Ogid

Post by Ogid »

56% winrate for the first player.
Interesting it's bigger than I thought...

Is this for all games or only for Competitive draft? In Random Pool Draft is usually better going second for how that mode is set up (6 heroes, 1/1 picks, so the first players get the worst champions)

If that % include that mode the gap may be even bigger...
galehar

Post by galehar »

I just checked, the first player winrate is now at 49%. It's currently not possible to apply filters to stats so we can't break it down by draft type.
Ogid

Post by Ogid »

Ty for checking. It's a pity we can't see the stats by type...I'm pretty sure the wr for competitive/casual and random draft have to be quite different. I guess the publisher will handle that in round 3 for competitive, there is nothing we can do about that right now without using house rules...

But the random draft (RD) could get tweaked a bit... the official mode is using a pool from 6 to any number; so changing that to 7 or 10 doesn't go against the official rules and may help with that low wr for the first player.

In my experience RD with 6 is too much of a luck fest, there are drafts where you almost loses at draft as the first player if there are 3 strong champions + 3 "situational" champions there... in those cases you better be on point and have luck on your side... and that's unfortunate with how enjoyable are the games when the teams are even.

Return to “Super Fantasy Brawl”