Trouble in Silo Paradise

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MarkSteere

Trouble in Silo Paradise

Post by MarkSteere »

RG at Board Game Arena discovered a tactic in Silo which confers a large advantage (among top players) to Player 1. I'm not the caliber of player that can solve games. I don't even fully understand the solution to Silo. I always lose to the top players whether I move first or second. So I rely on talented individuals like RG to wring out a new game, if it can be wrung out.

Michael Amundsen, esteemed fellow designer, suggested a different object of the game. Get all your checkers into a contiguous stack, possibly with enemy checkers above and/or below it, anywhere on the board.

RG's initial impression: "I think his suggestion might work. Not sure. The game is a lot more complicated now." Based on that appraisal, I will change Silo to incorporate the new goal. I'm going into the countryside for a few days and I'll make the change when I return.

Normally I'm not one to tweak a broken game, opting instead to simply withdraw it. But I really like Silo - even more so now with what seems to me a more elegant object. I put a lot of work into the graphics and programming... and the game design itself. I discovered the mechanism in a matter of minutes, but this was preceded by many unsuccessful attempts over a span of many years to design such a game. I finally got lucky with Silo, stumbling onto something that works (or rather will work, with any luck).

So why not? Keep your fingers crossed that the new version holds up. Ultra simple games don't come with a warranty.
Miwarre

Re: Trouble in Silo Paradise

Post by Miwarre »

Thanks for your continuous work in this game: FWIW, I found Silo surprisingly hooking! I tried the new version and it seems to me clearer than the previous: perhaps not easier, but clearer in the objectives: :D
MarkSteere

Re: Trouble in Silo Paradise

Post by MarkSteere »

Return to “Silo”