Longest railroad calculated incorrectly?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
donkeykong66

Longest railroad calculated incorrectly?

Post by donkeykong66 »

Hi all, why is my longest railroad in this game 18? If I count it should be 17 right? Does it maybe have to do with misinterpreting the loop in the bottom left?

https://imgur.com/a/KrCutJS
steve5332

Re: Longest railroad calculated incorrectly?

Post by steve5332 »

18 is right. The T in B6 counts twice. First when you go along the straight section, then again when your railroad finishes on the trunk of that T.
donkeykong66

Post by donkeykong66 »

So to confirm, you can use a *square* in the grid twice, as long as you don't use any given *segment* more than once?
steve5332

Post by steve5332 »

Correct. You can even use a crossroads twice so that your route crosses over itself, and the square would count twice.

Hypothetically I believe you could use a crossroads three times, by starting and finishing at the center of the crossroads and using the other two branches as you pass through. I've never seen it done and I don't know if the implementation handles it.
Criptonabo

Post by Criptonabo »

Is that a BGA only rules? I read the instructions and didn't see that "roundabout" rule.

I also tried the same roundabout in an external Railroad Inc game page and it counts 1 point less than BGA.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

from BGG:
"The Green Edition rulebook clarifies loops. Apparently you *can* use and count the same space twice, as long as the same segment of road/rail isn't being used again."
"The rules with the Deep Blue Edition that came with the RRI Challenge Kickstarter use the same Longest Highway rule as Yellow/Green. Apparently they are all harmonized now."

Return to “Railroad Ink”