Pretty sure the interface is not playing Mahjong/Phoenix correctly

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Syrilian

Pretty sure the interface is not playing Mahjong/Phoenix correctly

Post by Syrilian »

Whenever someone plays a mahjong with a straight and I can complete the straight with a phoenix, the interface forces me to play the phoenix. I am pretty sure this is contrary to the rules.
NeanderthalMan

Re: Pretty sure the interface is not playing Mahjong/Phoenix correctly

Post by NeanderthalMan »

If someone plays M2345 and wishes for 6 and you have Phoenix and 5689 or some other assortment, you are forced to make a straight with Phoenix. This is correct. If you have 4578, the wish cannot force you to play Phoenix as the wished rank. If there is a legal combination, with the Phoenix functioning as a wild, you must play it if no one before you has fulfilled the wish.

Here's the relevant rules except:
when a player plays the Mah Jong, he is allowed to wish for a certain rank (for example an 8 or an Ace, but not a special card). The next player who has a card of the desired rank, and can lawfully play it, must play it (possibly in a bomb! or rarely in a sequence). A player who does not hold or cannot play a card of the desired rank can play any lawfull card or pass.
aesche

Post by aesche »

The rules are implemented correctly.

In the official rules (https://www.fatamorgana.ch/tichu/tichu_english.asp) it says:
whoever plays the Mah Jong has a free wish, that is, he is allowed to wish for a certain rank (for example an 8 or an Ace, but not a special card). The next player who has a card of the desired rank and can lawfully play it must play it (possibly in a bomb!). Someone who does not hold or cannot play a card of the desired value can play any lawfull card or pass. The wish remains in force until someone fulfils it.
And clarifying later in the FAQ of the same official page:
Do I have to use the Phoenix to fullfill a wish?
Yes. The next player who has a card of the desired rank and can lawfully play it must play it. Even if he has to play a bomb or a sequence of appropriate length with the Phoenix.
If a player does not have a card of the desired rank he is not obliged to fullfill the wish even if he has the Phoenix (which is not a card of the desired rank.)
Syrilian

Post by Syrilian »

aesche wrote: 07 November 2021, 00:35 The rules are implemented correctly.

In the official rules (https://www.fatamorgana.ch/tichu/tichu_english.asp) it says:
whoever plays the Mah Jong has a free wish, that is, he is allowed to wish for a certain rank (for example an 8 or an Ace, but not a special card). The next player who has a card of the desired rank and can lawfully play it must play it (possibly in a bomb!). Someone who does not hold or cannot play a card of the desired value can play any lawfull card or pass. The wish remains in force until someone fulfils it.
And clarifying later in the FAQ of the same official page:
Do I have to use the Phoenix to fullfill a wish?
Yes. The next player who has a card of the desired rank and can lawfully play it must play it. Even if he has to play a bomb or a sequence of appropriate length with the Phoenix.
If a player does not have a card of the desired rank he is not obliged to fullfill the wish even if he has the Phoenix (which is not a card of the desired rank.)
Interesting. I stand corrected.
Yasten

Post by Yasten »

If you have 56789 phoenix but 1st player plays 1 through 5, and wishes a 5 are you still forced to use phoenix, or is that 56789 play allowed without phoenix since it beats the other straight?
aesche

Post by aesche »

Yasten wrote: 07 November 2021, 17:54 If you have 56789 phoenix but 1st player plays 1 through 5, and wishes a 5 are you still forced to use phoenix, or is that 56789 play allowed without phoenix since it beats the other straight?
5-9 beats 1-5 without phoenix, so doesnt require phoenix to be played. If he opens with 1-6 though, and you have 5-9+P, you need to add it to make a 6-street, if mahjong wishes for something from 5-9.

Return to “Tichu”