Agriculture card

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Art Dent

Agriculture card

Post by Art Dent »

Looking for opinions on the topic of, is agriculture overpowered?

Thx
nmego

Re: Agriculture card

Post by nmego »

It's not.

Agriculture is a consistent scorer, but it is not the most efficient, as it requires another action to draw the cards.

V.S. Agriculture you could:
1. Gather enough Leaf to leech it off and equalize. (Although keep in mind that by leeching you make your opponents draw the cards they need to score, so you'll need some backbone for that)
2. Tech up quickly (Age 2 Mathematics comes to mind, if opponent too busy playing Agriculture, they're probably ignoring the race to Mathematics)
3. Just, use more efficient methods to score, they usually require more conditions than Agriculture, but some examples include:

1. Clothing, which can score you a ton if opponent's board is barren and all they've been doing is play Agriculture. Clothing is also considered one of the best Age 1 cards.
2. Metalworking, will end up scoring you more points on average per action than Agriculture, even giving you the score 6+ achievement sometimes. It only works for Ages 1-3 though.

and both of these are in age 1, the same age as Agriculture. You could also consider Pottery, which doesn't have the draw issue of Agriculture, because it scores and draws.
BruceGee

Post by BruceGee »

This is mainly a response to the previous post...

Yeah, Agriculture is actually a pretty terrible way of scoring points in Age I. You're basically taking two actions to score 2 points, with nothing to show for it on your board. It's the pits. If I draw it, I usually don't even bother playing it then unless I need the leaves.

HOWEVER, unlike the other cards mentioned, Agriculture gets BETTER with each successive age. If you're able to use it in age 4, two actions to score 5 points isn't too shabby. Or if you've managed to save up a bunch of low cards and the low decks are exhausted, you can score a whole bunch of points in a hurry. And it just keeps getting better the longer you keep it out.

Consider holding it in your hand until you reach Age 3 -- that way your opponent won't be able to try the methods of countering it outlined above.

I've certainly been on both sides of plenty of games where the large majority of points for the winning player were from that one card. I can't think of any other card that's true for -- certainly not any other Age I.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Anything which gets you achievements is worth it. Agriculture is not the best scorer, but if it gets you first to the score 5 points achievement then use it.
From personal experience, Pottery has been my most consistent early advantage scoring card. By statistics, clothing is apparently one of the hot favourites. Slightly more random, but Metalworking can be powerful, especially since it burns brighter in Age 2 and 3.
nmego

Post by nmego »

BruceGee wrote: 10 November 2021, 23:45 HOWEVER, unlike the other cards mentioned, Agriculture gets BETTER with each successive age. If you're able to use it in age 4, two actions to score 5 points isn't too shabby. Or if you've managed to save up a bunch of low cards and the low decks are exhausted, you can score a whole bunch of points in a hurry. And it just keeps getting better the longer you keep it out.
This is true. However, I believe Pottery gets better than Agriculture with each age, e.g. scoring 4 points for one action is much better than scoring 5 points for two actions. (In age 1, I believe Agri is slightly better) And as you age up you'll end up finding more efficient scoring cards (but not as consistent probably).

Return to “Innovation”