Game Limits

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Sharley23

Re: Game Limits

Post by Sharley23 »

Grimwold wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:07 Passive agressive answer won't help you rallying people on your cause.

Your 'issues' are just not issues at all.
You are playing agaisnt someone who respect the rules about time limit and you are not happy about it.
And you blame this on the number of games he is playing despite this having no relation with in game clocks.

Your only point is that you won't do that, so he shouldn't. Which, I'm sorry to say, no one will find it valid.

Again, nothing prevent you to start other games, and set shorter timers. You can also give your opponent a red thumb if you really dislike playing against him because of that.
Sorry, it's not my intention to come off as PA. The two previous responses from Jellby came over as sarcastic and passive aggressive.

Whether you agree with them or not, I'm entitled to my gripes, just as I am allowed to ask questions. It doesn't make them any less valid & we don't have to agree. It is possible for someone to be within the rules and for something to negatively affect other people at the same time. Both these things can be true at the same time.

Of course there's no problem with someone using their allocated play time. I'm fairly sure it's a small minority but there are players who manipulate BGA rules to their own advantage. Intentionally running the clock down in an attempt to frustrate and put off other players is one of them. It's been posted about many times.

Also, I'm not sure how many people IRL would tolerate someone returning every 4th day to play a turn? For one, my partner would have a lot of questions.... who is that in the kitchen? Why are they here? How did they get in? When can we eat at the table again? 😁
Hervor

Post by Hervor »

I am someone who tries to only play turn-based games with the slowest setting for a simple reason: BGA is part of my work day routine. I rarely open the website on weekends or holidays.
Even though right now I at most have a handful of concurrent games you will find me not playing for 3 days at a time and that has nothing to do with the people I'm playing against. I'm not trying to play mind games, trying to frustrate someone by running down the clock or some other imagined thing. I just don't boot up my PC when I'm not working. I had jobs where I was basically babysitting the phone for 8 hours a day. I could have easily played my turn in 300 games during that time.

What I am getting at: most of the time people do not care about you or me or anyone and just do what suits them. And if they are respectful enough to choose a time setting, that accommodates their playstyle then there really should be no problem.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44 (...)I'm entitled to my gripes, just as I am allowed to ask questions.
I guess no one contest that.

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44 It doesn't make them any less valid & we don't have to agree. It is possible for someone to be within the rules and for something to negatively affect other people at the same time. Both these things can be true at the same time.
Indeed, I also have very bad experiences with games (I though I would enjoy them, and finallythey were a bore to play in turn per turn). I wanted the game to finish, and opponents were sometimes taking their time. So, trust me, I know this can be true.
Again, my bad experience wasn't because the players played slowly. But because I wanted the game finished and never play it again. And I couldn't quit because it wasn't a 2p game.
My opponents did nothing wrong, so ... I swallowed my anger, finished the game without throwing it (Just because I do't like a game, doesn't mean I should ruin it for people who could enjoy it) and removed it from my 'favorite'.
It was a bad moment to pass, but nothing life threatenig nor maddenig inducing.
Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44I'm fairly sure it's a small minority but there are players who manipulate BGA rules to their own advantage. Intentionally running the clock down in an attempt to frustrate and put off other players is one of them. It's been posted about many times.
Indeed, no one can contest that either. But is this the case here ?
I would never play 100+ games at the same time. But again, that doesn't stun me if someone who does well ... takes his time.
The guy has also very few game where he was expelled for time out.
As you said above : You can have a negative experience with someone playing honestly and without mind trick.
Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44Also, I'm not sure how many people IRL would tolerate someone returning every 4th day to play a turn? For one, my partner would have a lot of questions.... who is that in the kitchen? Why are they here? How did they get in? When can we eat at the table again? 😁
I fail to see your point here.
I don't have to wait for my games to be finished to start another game or visit another website. So my virtual 'kitchen table' is always free.
And I play with someone IRL, I guess that I won't to him "It's okay, if you visit me every two days to play ONE move."
If you want IRL feeling of boardgame play on kitchen table, then I guess you should play real time games, not turn based ones.

Fun fact: Back in my youth, I had a 'game room' dedicated to board game. It wasn't uncommon to leave a game in the middle and continue it one or two weeks later. I guess that IRL example is more accurate to the turn based experience here than yours. :)
Sharley23

Post by Sharley23 »

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44Also, I'm not sure how many people IRL would tolerate someone returning every 4th day to play a turn? For one, my partner would have a lot of questions.... who is that in the kitchen? Why are they here? How did they get in? When can we eat at the table again? 😁
I fail to see your point here.
I don't have to wait for my games to be finished to start another game or visit another website. So my virtual 'kitchen table' is always free.
And I play with someone IRL, I guess that I won't to him "It's okay, if you visit me every two days to play ONE move."
If you want IRL feeling of boardgame play on kitchen table, then I guess you should play real time games, not turn based ones.

Fun fact: Back in my youth, I had a 'game room' dedicated to board game. It wasn't uncommon to leave a game in the middle and continue it one or two weeks later. I guess that IRL example is more accurate to the turn based experience here than yours. :)
I was making a joke.... it was intended as such and not meant to be taken literally. 🤪
MrOtter

Post by MrOtter »

It's a valid gripe, but the person you should be complaining about is yourself. You knowingly joined a game with a certain speed, yet are shifting the blame to a player that is well within their right to play at the agreed upon turn speed. If IRL you agreed to play with others where you may perform a turn once every 5 days, would you blame another player when they take 5 days for their turn? At the end of the day, you can always abandon a game.
Cile

Post by Cile »

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:44 Of course there's no problem with someone using their allocated play time. I'm fairly sure it's a small minority but there are players who manipulate BGA rules to their own advantage. Intentionally running the clock down in an attempt to frustrate and put off other players is one of them. It's been posted about many times.
So to be clear: do you think this player is purposely using the maximum amount of time to run down the clock in 300 games to purposely annoy their opponents? Just trying to manage that would be a nightmare ("should I take my move in this table? No, I should wait an hour first. How about this table?...)

You just said "Of course there's no problem with someone using their allocated play time." So what is the problem?

I understand, I prefer snappy games as well. I currently have a 1 turn per day game where one of the players clearly only logs in once in the evening to take their turn and that's it. I'm somewhat annoyed when I see its this player's turn and I know they won't make a move for 20 hours, but I don't fault the player for it because they are playing by the rules we all agreed to when we joined the table.

Here are your options:

Boot them when their timer goes red. If it doesn't go red they are playing by the rules of the table.

Give them a personal red thumb saying "I don't want to pay with this player again" to avoid being matched with them in the future.

Start another game while waiting for this one to finish, hopefully it will be snappier. I normally don't play the same game at more than 1 table, but on occasion when a table is playing slower than I would like I do try it and have sometimes finished the 2nd game before the 1st game has finished a round. I recommend making sure you give a personal red thumb to the player you want to avoid first just in case you might get matched with them again.

Pay attention to the game speed and join/create tables with a faster game speed.

I also suggest playing in Arena if you are happy with the current season's table settings. I find players in Arena games tend to care more about paying attention to the game and playing when it is their turn

Return to “Discussions”