Page 12 of 15
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 03:35
by mizzou95
yes, I realize it's 500 games. That is why I went back and found out my rate over ALL the games.
FrankJones wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 00:47
The game has been played 4.5 million times, and the "all players' results show 16.67% doubles.
With 4.5 million games played, there will be some players whose doubles rate is above or below expectation.
If you think the game programmer inserted some insidious code to cheat some sub-group of players, I have a couple of quesrtions:
1) Which about you or your account would get you included in a sub-group of players targeted by this hypothetical insidious cheat programming?
2) Have you checked other players with similar demographics / Elo / age of account / whatever, to see whether they are affected by this alleged cheat programming?
[ Keep in mind, all of this ignores the repeatedly stated fact that the displayed statistics only refer to the last X games, where X is, I believe, 500].
(This is why I asked whether the OP manually counted the doubles in 3900 games.)
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 03:40
by tbhp
lefalaf wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:20
tbhp wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 01:24
Also, going in the red 19 times in 500+ games is hardly some terrible treatment of other players.
Well, someone shouldn't play 508 games in 60 days if they cannot keep up on them.
I'd describe this ratio of timeouts/games as being able to keep up. Also, we don't know how many of those timeouts were stalling the game in a problematic manner, or were just being slightly out of time for a few seconds (if real time) or a few hours (if turn based).
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 03:46
by lefalaf
tbhp wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:40
lefalaf wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:20
tbhp wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 01:24
Also, going in the red 19 times in 500+ games is hardly some terrible treatment of other players.
Well, someone shouldn't play 508 games in 60 days if they cannot keep up on them.
I'd describe this ratio of timeouts/games as being able to keep up. Also, we don't know how many of those timeouts were stalling the game in a problematic manner, or were just being slightly out of time for a few seconds (if real time) or a few hours (if turn based).
Keeping up is playing within time. This isn’t an accidental 1 or 2. It is a pattern, unless it was some emergency like a hospital stay.
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 03:47
by tbhp
mizzou95 wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:35
yes, I realize it's 500 games. That is why I went back and found out my rate over ALL the games.
How do you open 3900 replays in such a short amount of time? I thought there was a limit to how many replays you can watch in a day. But maybe it doesn't apply to Premium members?
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 03:50
by tbhp
lefalaf wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:46
Keeping up is playing within time. This isn’t an accidental 1 or 2. It is a pattern, unless it was some emergency like a hospital stay.
But everyone goes out of time sometimes, even if it's the once in a century occurrence where they get lost in a tropical jungle while in vacation and don't have access to an internet connection.
Considering it's literally impossible for anyone to guarantee they will never go out of time, what is the threshold of occurrence beyond which you consider that someone can't "keep up"?
And like I said, if someone is able to make their moves quickly after they ran out of time, that's a lot more along the lines of being able to keep up than if someone just disappears from a game.
The latter is what I'd consider disrespectful, especially since it can lead to games being ended prematurely, sometimes with unfair results. That's the stat that would be relevant to know. Just seeing that someone went out of time doesn't tell us that.
For example, I've probably gone out of time more than 50 times in all my time on this website, but only one of those instances was actually problematic. All the other times, I actually started playing faster than my opponents after I ran out of time.
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 04:10
by FrankJones
mizzou95 wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:35
yes, I realize it's 500 games. That is why I went back and found out my rate over ALL the games.
Wait, all joking aside - you watched 3900 replays, and logged the results of 97 thousand dice rolls ?
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 04:41
by mizzou95
no, i didn't watch replays. You can easily click on the game and see what the doubles rate was for each game. After that it's simple math.
FrankJones wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 04:10
mizzou95 wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 03:35
yes, I realize it's 500 games. That is why I went back and found out my rate over ALL the games.
Wait, all joking aside - you watched 3900 replays, and logged the results of 97 thousand dice rolls ?
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 04:52
by FrankJones
mizzou95 wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 04:41
no, i didn't watch replays. You can easily click on the game and see what the doubles rate was for each game. After that it's simple math.
I see. The info can be obtained from the game end screen.
Does each game have the same number of dice rolls?
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 04:53
by tbhp
But those stats are rounded, you would need to actually count everything for the exact numbers.
Also, if different games have different numbers of rolls, it's not a good methodology to just average all their stats.
And as has been discussed before, when a game is abandoned, are you able to see the stats for that game?
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 09 October 2026, 05:00
by FrankJones
tbhp wrote: ↑09 October 2026, 04:53
But those stats are rounded, you would need to actually count everything for the exact numbers.
Also, if different games have different numbers of rolls, it's not a good methodology to just average all their stats.
And as has been discussed before, when a game is abandoned, are you able to see the stats for that game?
True, all this is important. The differential (If the claimed stats are accurate) worked out to approximately 1 extra doubles every 7 games.
If every game has the same number of rolls, then a straight average would work fine. I don't know how many dice rolls there are per game.