Page 15 of 15
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 10 October 2026, 04:12
by Ceaseless
FrankJones wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 03:33
True. I think. I think I agree with nik592.
I hate concedes
I also had two recent opponents who did this:
Queued for fast turn based.
Made No love during the 12 hour window.
I cannot force abandon or expel.
So, I eventually forced abandoned game.
I could have taken two cheap wins. But I did not.
That said, both of these players annoyed the hell out of me. MAKE A GODDAMN MOVE.
At (presumably) 0% completion, don't think there's much be said about a cheap win when you aren't getting any rating from it. It's more about giving them a loss with an additional penalty. Players that kick others for this also ensure that a player cannot safely try to not play right at the start to sneak an abandon out of a bad opening hand.
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 10 October 2026, 04:21
by FrankJones
Ceaseless wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 04:12
FrankJones wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 03:33
True. I think. I think I agree with nik592.
I hate concedes
I also had two recent opponents who did this:
Queued for fast turn based.
Made No love during the 12 hour window.
I cannot force abandon or expel.
So, I eventually forced abandoned game.
I could have taken two cheap wins. But I did not.
That said, both of these players annoyed the hell out of me. MAKE A GODDAMN MOVE.
At (presumably) 0% completion, don't think there's much be said about a cheap win when you aren't getting any rating from it. It's more about giving them a loss with an additional penalty. Players that kick others for this also ensure that a player cannot safely try to not play right at the start to sneak an abandon out of a bad opening hand.
@ Ceaseless: Good point. I did not even consider that.
Is it possible both my opponents had terrible hands and were trying to induce a forced abandon from me?
After looking at the game, They both did have horrible hands.
I should just kick/expel ???
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 10 October 2026, 04:32
by tbhp
Meeplelowda wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 03:43
Might there be a correlation between conceded and abandoned games and a deviation from expected number of doubles? Would this correlation compound the error of giving them equal weight?
Pretty much, it seems that people who play the game tend to agree that getting a lot of doubles is disadvantageous.
Even without that, it's statistically likely that the various events happening in a game will have an effect on your winrate, whether positive or negative. So, a game being conceded is not a stat-neutral occurrence. It's going to correlate with the events that give you more chances of losing.
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 10 October 2026, 04:33
by FrankJones
Ceaseless wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 04:12
FrankJones wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 03:33
True. I think. I think I agree with nik592.
I hate concedes
I also had two recent opponents who did this:
Queued for fast turn based.
Made No love during the 12 hour window.
I cannot force abandon or expel.
So, I eventually forced abandoned game.
I could have taken two cheap wins. But I did not.
That said, both of these players annoyed the hell out of me. MAKE A GODDAMN MOVE.
At (presumably) 0% completion, don't think there's much be said about a cheap win when you aren't getting any rating from it. It's more about giving them a loss with an additional penalty. Players that kick others for this also ensure that a player cannot safely try to not play right at the start to sneak an abandon out of a bad opening hand.
True,
By not kicking either player, I basically emboldened them to continue their annoying behavior.
Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 10 October 2026, 04:52
by tbhp
FrankJones wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 04:21
Ceaseless wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 04:12
FrankJones wrote: ↑10 October 2026, 03:33
True. I think. I think I agree with nik592.
I hate concedes
I also had two recent opponents who did this:
Queued for fast turn based.
Made No love during the 12 hour window.
I cannot force abandon or expel.
So, I eventually forced abandoned game.
I could have taken two cheap wins. But I did not.
That said, both of these players annoyed the hell out of me. MAKE A GODDAMN MOVE.
At (presumably) 0% completion, don't think there's much be said about a cheap win when you aren't getting any rating from it. It's more about giving them a loss with an additional penalty. Players that kick others for this also ensure that a player cannot safely try to not play right at the start to sneak an abandon out of a bad opening hand.
@ Ceaseless: Good point. I did not even consider that.
Is it possible both my opponents had terrible hands and were trying to induce a forced abandon from me?
After looking at the game, They both did have horrible hands.
I should just kick/expel ???
You can always outplay them at their own game, by just leaving the game running, thus forcing them to play before the end of the tournament round/Arena season, or else they will get an automatic loss.
Although I don't agree with the expulsion, I think Ceaseless is right about one part. If someone started a game, it means they committed to finishing it, can't let them just get away with an abandon.