Hotseat mode (BETA)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Caffe Latte

Re: Hotseat mode (BETA)

Post by Caffe Latte »

Heh, now I cannot Play any other games because I have that not working hotseat game in progress :D
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

Well, it is not funny anymore. Will this game hang forever now? I can't play anything anymore.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

If you move the mouse to the top right corner of the white screen the cursur should become a pointer; if you click then the panel should open where you can abandon the game. At least this worked for me... :idea:
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

I am playing from tablet (Android), so no mouse and not even the smallest chance to press anything on "your turn" window, you can believe me, I tried near an hour. Happily today no more this my game table there. Ergh, I was so excited about hotseat....
Efor

Post by Efor »

My friend was playing on my device (it could be 2 weeks ago). Now he is playing at his home (far from me) and i cant play with him because i got error message like: you are playing from same device as player *****. It means i cant play with him any more games on BGA cause he was playing on my device ... imho it does not make a sense. Thanks for this (premium) feature ... sarcasm.

I would like to notice the hotseat did not work - even if I invited him through hotseat he could not join to table.

I think design of the hotseat feature is very poor in this case. And I would be interested what information are you saving about my device, because it could not be only an ip address (my opinion). Even cookies clear does not help :).

In conclusion I would like to say I like playing on BGA, i have been helping with translation, but this feature makes me angry.

PS: Is ELO disabled temporary in hotseat mode?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Efor wrote:I would like to notice the hotseat did not work - even if I invited him through hotseat he could not join to table.
I have to wonder if you are misinterpreting how the hotseat works. You're not really inviting him through his account. I just created an invite, did 2 player, used the hotseat mode, and wrote in a friend's name... she is a member of this site so I was using a real member's name. It wasn't her, and wasn't using her account. (Otherwise it would have been allowing me to mess with her account, which of course I cannot do.) I took a couple of turns and did a group abandon. It shows in my account but there's no record of it in hers. In other words, the game was not really with her account, just with her name. The record in my account shows my opponent as "_Hotseat01."

You have to click on the Hotseat button first, and then put whatever name in you want. If that name has an account, it won't pull up the real account. You don't want to type in the box to the right that says "or invite..." You need to hit the Invite a Friend button instead, choose Hotseat at the bottom, and then put the name in the new box that comes up.

The idea isn't so you can play with your friend's account. You're playing on your account, and your friend is just there with you and is not playing with their account, even if they have one. If you want something where your friend is actually using his account, this isn't it; you would have to just play a normal game with him, from your two different locations.

(Now, I'm not sure what they are intending to do with this in the long run or how it's going to work, but this is how it is now. And I don't have a premium account and it let me use it. But again, I wasn't not playing with another real account.)
I think design of the hotseat feature is very poor in this case. And I would be interested what information are you saving about my device, because it could not be only an ip address (my opinion). Even cookies clear does not help :).
I don't think the Hotseat feature is what is doing that, but still, under normal circumstances it'll be saving info about you. Did you try clearing your cache? It will depend on where they keep the information.
PS: Is ELO disabled temporary in hotseat mode?
Yes, the initial post specifically addresses that. And it will turn off automatically when you hit the Hotseat under Invite a Friend.
jamiethul

Post by jamiethul »

So is this why "playing from the same location" is now a premium feature? AKA, my wife and I using separate laptops on the same wifi is now going to require me paying for a premium account?

I think this is a bug...
fuzzycoatimundi

Post by fuzzycoatimundi »

I sure hope it's a bug! Have been playing Hanabi for months at home with my wife, only to discover we can't use BGA tonight. Would love some clarification on this "plays at the same location as" warning.
Efor

Post by Efor »

Liallan wrote: I have to wonder if you are misinterpreting how the hotseat works. You're not really inviting him through his account. I just created an invite, did 2 player, used the hotseat mode, and wrote in a friend's name...

In other words, the game was not really with her account, just with her name. The record in my account shows my opponent as "_Hotseat01."
I did it like you said. It did not work, my friend did not get any invite from me. Default name of opponent player was _Hotseat01.

The problem is simple: my friend was using my device to playing on BGA. Now i cant play with him from my device because i get error message "you are playing from same device as player *****" since the hotseat mode was announced (we are playing from different IP addresses).
Alchimista93

Post by Alchimista93 »

Same here. I have been playing with my boyfriend with the same Wi-fi connection, but with 2 different laptops and it doesn't work at all! The website says we have to become premium, how is it possible?

Furthermore, I tried to switch to 2 different internet connections but it doesn't work :/ Seems like if you played from the same connection, the site remembers it and it won't make you play again (even with different connections)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”