Tichu Developer Update - Looking for Feedback!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs

Do you like the updates?

Fantastic. Can't wait for the release.
58%
Nice. Sounds useful.
30%
Meh. Not much of an improvement.
9%
Arg. Don't release that crap!
3%

Total votes: 33

mrbass

Re: Tichu Developer Update - Looking for Feedback!

Post by mrbass »

I was the player at the table that had 10,000 or more bombs played. Like I said 90% reputation ban and one month silenced for saying bad words. Fine I deserved it but as far as I could tell the 10,000 bomb player got 10% rep lost. Oh well. Then when I commented 2nd time in that thread I believe it was another 100% reputation ban and another month of silence. If you try to report it it's impossible..trust me..there isn't an option to report. It'll just say too bad we can't control how people play. Which is true.

So I thought about how to prevent this from say after you press bomb once then say they wait 20 seconds it sucks their time and then not allowed to press a bomb again for 30 seconds. Anyway the simplest way, if feasible, is to only allow bomb to be clicked if there is an actual bomb and if clicked even by accident it must be played. Sure I've read the argument where bomb should always be displayed and that's fine but is there a way to make it only clickable if there's a bomb? In the iOS Tichu version I helped beta test...not sure when that was 10 years ago or so bomb only shows if you have one.

Another thing which might be out of your control but maybe not as I remember the Sushi Go developer could do it is in the tables under manual mode when looking at tables one has to enter it then view it to see if it's Random or table order..I only do random. It already shows 500 / 1000 or 2000 points so show the table order then it's easy for players to decide if they want to enter. A few tichu players only play for ELO so they always 1/2 - 3/4 the table order and with Tichu a game that's hard to prove if there's cheating occurring Random is at least helpful a bit in preventing or deterring it.
At Random
1/2 - 3/4
1/3 - 2/4
1/4 - 2/3
Zhuangzi

Post by Zhuangzi »

It's excellent to see Tichu get some much needed love.

Thank you very much for your work, sir!
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

Just showing Tichu on iOS and the bomb button only appears if you have a bomb.
tichuiosbomb.jpg
tichuiosbomb.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Also Tichu One (official version also) only shows bomb when there is one. You press it and it plays the bomb. Only if you had two bombs would you need to select which one or if a straight flush and only wish to select partial part of the bomb. Say only 5 of the 7 cards.
tichuonebomb.jpg
tichuonebomb.jpg (119.65 KiB) Viewed 519 times
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

also not sure if it's doable but those who choose counter-clockwise for dragon points can you switch the players so left is on left and right is on right.. currently it's reverse since it assumes clockwise play.
dragonpoints.jpg
dragonpoints.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 510 times
youngathearttx

Post by youngathearttx »

Valdamarr wrote: 08 August 2023, 11:05 Hi. nice to see some attention given to tichu. I don't like that when you click on a game link when someone has invited you that it takes me to the Tichu game page instead of the lobby or the table page so that I can see what table I am being invited to. In my opinion, changing this would be better.
This would be great
ExpendableEnsign

Post by ExpendableEnsign »

The speed improvements are great. I always wondered why Tichu was so incredibly sluggish. I assumed it was incredibly poor, inefficient coding, not deliberate delays to make the game awful. Why would anyone do that?

The new button positions are much better, but it'll take me some time to get used to not having to make those massive mouse movements every click.
Valdamarr wrote: 10 August 2023, 19:14 JonGetsGames wrote: ↑09 August 2023, 16:37
I agree that the bomb button should always be visible, it is the players responsibility to be aware if they have a bomb.
I really don't understand this attitude at all. It's a computer system. It knows and can make buttons available when they work. But instead you want to make the interface less user-friendly just because 1% of players who don't know the game might not know what a bomb is? Worst kind of lowest-common-denominator attitude. Write the UI for the 99% of players who know what they are doing and don't need a pointless button sitting there that does nothing.

Speaking of bombs, the important question is: Can you bomb your own play before another player can play on it? You should be able to, but the interface delay has always made it impossible, especially for those far away from France.
Last edited by ExpendableEnsign on 14 August 2023, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
youngathearttx

Post by youngathearttx »

After playing a few times, I suggest that the player's rectangle go dark AFTER his Last card is played, and BEFORE the Opponent's next play.
(NOT waiting until After the Following Opponent plays.)
Thank you for making Tichu more fun for all!
Valdamarr

Post by Valdamarr »

ExpendableEnsign wrote: 13 August 2023, 12:24
I really don't understand this attitude at all. It's a computer system. It knows and can make buttons available when they work. But instead you want to make the interface lame just because 1% of players who don't know the game might not know what a bomb is? Worst kind of lowest-common-denominator insanity. Write the UI for the 99% of players who know what they are doing and don't need a pointless button sitting there that does nothing.
I find this condescending reply somewhat unnecessarily offensive on a forum post designed to constructively make the game of tichu better and where people should be able to share their opinions.
ExpendableEnsign wrote: 13 August 2023, 12:24 Speaking of bombs, the important question is: Can you bomb your own play before another player can play on it?
Maybe 99% of regular tichu players know that you can bomb your own play before someone else bombs it.
Valdamarr

Post by Valdamarr »

I know not everyone will share this opinion I have but I wonder how many others share this opinion/preference. I also know it is not the most important change that needs to be made before any other change...

I am happier that the play and pass tabs have been moved down the page so that they sit directly above our hand of cards. However, I am finding I still have to scroll over to the far left and have nearly hit the pass tab instead of the play tab on several occasions since the change. This might be just me getting used to the change.

However, I was wondering if central aligning our hand of cards at the bottom of the page and moving the play and pass tabs to the centre of the horizontal bar above our hand would be preferred by others?- Also would it require a lot of effort to change?

Also, that would make space for the Grand Tichu tab to come down within and to the left of the same horizontal bar of tabs already above our hand of cards.
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

Thanks for all the fixes dashwood314
Tiki Art edition wishing bug fixed
counter-clockwise left / right player bug fixed

thx for the 2 second auto collect...speeds up game quite a bit

Just played a game but forgot to pay attention to bomb button but that's pretty much all I can think of left to sort out.

Return to “Tichu”