Re: doubles in Castles of burgundy
Posted: 15 September 2026, 22:52
Last 500 games huh? I'm surprised that BGA would do this - it makes zero sense and makes counting any stats irrelevant. In fact, for a board gamer community I would have to say I'm very skeptical still. Most board gamers understand stats and realize counting 500 games is practically useless for a good sample size. I mean, you guys have said that yourself - "chill out it's only 500 games." I mean, does it take much more bandwidth to just keep counting all the stats? Asking for a friend.BarnardsStar wrote: โ14 September 2026, 17:45I feel like you skipped a lot of the discussion on this post.mizzou95 wrote: โ14 September 2026, 17:16 oh, i'm chilled out. i actually am proud of the fact that my double rate is 1 in 750000 chance of happening and i'm still at a 300 ETO. I'm at the point where it is actually a game now to see how high my doubles rate can go in a game that clearly is a disadvantage to rolling doubles, while maintaining or increasing my ELO. Fun!BTW, my rate since my last post has gone to 17.34%, which take 3900 games X 25 rolls a game is approaching 90000 rolls. The chance of rolling 17.34% or more doubles on 90,000 rolls of two standard six-sided dice is approximately 3.56 ร 10โปโธ, which translates to about 1 in 28,089,887 (or a 0.00000356% chance). Because the sample size is incredibly large, the results tightly cluster around the statistical average, making a deviation this high exceptionally rare.
The statistics only cover the last 500 games, so you got 17.34% doubles on 12,500 rolls, not 90k. And the odds of that are 2.3% (not 1 in 750k) for any given player, of which there are thousands and ergo this is pretty much a certainty for somebody. It happens to be you.