Signed Language translations?

BGA localization discussions
LarryTheDouglas

Signed Language translations?

Post by LarryTheDouglas »

I am fluent in American Sign Language as well as English and wondered if there had ever been the discussion about using GIF files to translate the games into a signed language. Nearly every culture has a signed language and an international language has begun to take root in recent years. Might this be something BGA would be interested in playing with?
Een

Re: Signed Language translations?

Post by Een »

Hello,
I was thinking about the technical aspect (not easy, all internationalization stuff is based on UTF-8 charsets).
Then it struck me: what would be the use case since BGA is already a written medium? :?:
LarryTheDouglas

Post by LarryTheDouglas »

Because English is not the first language of many people.

Think of how complex it can be translating game rules and advice into a second language...

That is what it is like for a native ASL speaker to read the written English text. One thing that is nice about BGA is that there are no sound cues for games... everything is visual. But if there were a way to implement small videos that would play either when clicked, or hovered over, it might be accessible to Deaf players.

I am curious about trying to see if this could work. For example this website uses these for their site menus...
http://dsdj.gallaudet.edu/

Perhaps it would be fun to try an ASL translation/localization of one game to start.

Larry
meeplebok

Post by meeplebok »

@LarryTheDouglas Maybe this can be done now with the new Tutorial feature provided the BGA folks could add ASL and other sign languages to the list of languages into which tutorials can be translated. I saw on the https://boardgamearena.com/tutorialfaq page that pictures can be embedded into the tutorial instruction pop-ups, so maybe moving GIFs would work...
purplejordan

Post by purplejordan »

I’m an ASL interpreter and I’m very glad I’m not the only one who was curious about adding signed translations. I know several Deaf gamers and it would be awesome to have access in their first language! Some instructions and lingo are confusing enough for native English speakers, lol
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

purplejordan wrote: 23 April 2023, 07:16 access in their first language
I'm sorry, I don't understand. If they are American or English, how is written English not as much their first language as it is for hearing players?
purplejordan

Post by purplejordan »

That is a complex answer. For some it is, but for many it is not. I recommend you research language deprivation in the Deaf community, Deaf education, and in general how first language acquisition works (it is mostly passive and happens before age 5, around when a child is taught to read based mostly on language they already naturally picked up.) ASL is a full visual language with is own grammar and unique features that is more natural to many Deaf people. You will often see live captioners as well as ASL interpreters at events because language needs vary among the Deaf community.

Anyway, game instructions can can be complex, dense, vague, or all of the above. Why not make it possible for someone to get clarification in a way that is easiest for them to understand?
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Hi, I'm not a deaf speaker, and I'm curious.

What would the translation look like? Can ASL be written? I guess there is no ASL alphabet?
(EDIT : this was actually quite obvious after reading the first post again :lol: )

Maybe a gif with an interpreter doing the translation would work, then? With a :idea: button to show it.
I have no idea if it's a common thing to make such gifs, or if there are other tools that are easier to contribute and to use on the web.

Technically it seems to be quite a big work, but maybe not so much. Just add an upload field for GIFs in the translation area, and add a function for developers to add the matching :idea: button after a translatable text.
That way it could be translated into any language (if there are translators available..).

It would mean some moderation stuff I guess.

Return to “Translations”